Why become a member? ×

Mosfet?!

ashevans09

[quote name='Alien' post='102502' date='Dec 11 2007, 12:24 AM']Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor. To the layman, the only important word is the last one :)
Andy[/quote]

Well... last three words, really.

The FET is essentially a transistor that works very much more like a valve than a regular non-FET (bipolar) transistor does, so thus sounds a [i]bit[/i] more valve-like.

No comparison to a nice line of red-hot & glowing EL34s though.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_effect_transistor"]Slightly technical Wikipedia article on FETs[/url]
[url="http://www.satcure-focus.com/tutor/page4.htm"]Non-technical article on Bipolar (=regular) Transistors[/url]

Pete.

[quote name='chris_b' post='102551' date='Dec 11 2007, 09:00 AM']In your opinion.
MOSFET technology has produced many highly rated bass and PA amps.[/quote]
+1
I have to say, I am rather partial to the FET preamps of the TE Commando amps and the Eden Nemesis amps, nice and simple just like me!!

[quote name='chris_b' post='102551' date='Dec 11 2007, 09:00 AM']In your opinion.
MOSFET technology has produced many highly rated bass and PA amps.[/quote]

I didn't say it hasn't - I just said that there was a significant difference 'twixt Bipolars, FETs & Bottles.

In my time I've owned & cranked a Bipolar 200W Hiwatt head, a Marshall 100W 4 x EL34 head, an Axis 200w 4 x EL34 head, and a Marshall 2 x 200W MOSFET Power amp. All four were very different as you'd expect. The only two that could have a valid side-by-side comparison were the two tube heads & even that's pushing it owing to the design of the Axis.

To summarise: FETs are just another way of making things louder. Whether it's the tight kind of loudness for you is, well, down to you.

Pete.

Edited by Bloodaxe