Why become a member? ×

Musicman Weight

slystewart

I have moved from guitar to bass in the last year and a friend lent me a Musicman early 80s bass in natural..2 EQ...will need to get a bass of my own soon ..questions are are the new Musicman bass lighter...i dont mind the weight of the old one...and is there a big difference in the 3 EQ sounds of the new EB basses thanks for any help on this

Never tried a Sterling. My Stingrays were a bit heavy when compared to my Spector, and my older Stingrays, (Pre EBMM) were 2 band eq, richer in tone as my old rehearsal and live recordings point out to me. I tend to play "scooped" so I never used the midband eq on my newer "rays anyway. Got to give EBMM credit. They are designing a LOT of different sounding/looking instruments.

Edited by jammie17

Just popped some of my 'rays on the highly inaccurate bathroom scales to try put some figures down.

'87 2 band - always felt light, weighs in at 8lbs
'89 3 band - middle sort of weight at about 9lbs
'91 3 band - on the heavy side at nearly 10lbs
30th anniversary - ouch, weighing in at closer to 11lbs

I guess you can't be sure as every bass they knock out is unique, I've read of LE2007 basses weighing in at 8lbs and ones at closer to 11lbs. So I wouldnt worry about the era of production, just find one you like :)

Jas

• 2 weeks later...