Why become a member? ×

D'Addario colour code

Mr. Foxen

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='920039' date='Aug 9 2010, 08:46 PM']Just scavenged a bad of strings from Shockwave. Anyone know the ball end colour code, will make life much easier sorting sets. Any other manufacturers do colour coding?[/quote]

it won't necessarily help as they are coded by set, not size - so all "E" strings will be one colour, all "A"s another, irrespective of thickness

if they are all 45-105 sets though, you'll be fine :)

Edited by Paul_C

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='920098' date='Aug 9 2010, 09:33 PM']I have a couple of vastly different sized green ball ends here, different style of ball, so [b]someone else must colour them[/b].[/quote]
I believe Giannini, Hartke & DR, and maybe others. D'Addario are now making Fender's strings so possibly those too.

[quote name='Paul_C' post='920064' date='Aug 9 2010, 09:02 PM']assuming they're the same as the guitar sets (not having any bass sets to hand) it should be :

E - brass/gold
A - red
D - black
G - green[/quote]
I've got D'Addario's on my bass and that is exactly the colour code goes on mine.

I tend to keep all my strings wrapped up in sets... but when I was a bit anal about gauges, ie the difference
between 40 and 45, I used to measure them.

I only ever used DR's which have no silk winds so a micrometer was just the ticket..but you could knoc up a little template with the gauges and just fit the string into the selected gauge. Your local hardware shop would probably have something like this anyway..

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='920098' date='Aug 9 2010, 09:33 PM']I recommend every string hoarder cable ties sets together.

I have a couple of vastly different sized green ball ends here, different style of ball, so someone else must colour them.[/quote]

If I recall, there used to be sets that had a metallic type finish, and the current sets look like they've been dipped in normal paint. I couldn't say what the actual difference was, but the sets were all D'Addarios, and the colour codes were the same. Maybe they just changed their mind at some point? :)