Why become a member? ×

Worrying a little bit.

Brandonh

Yeah, I have been noticing how now a days bassist play a lot of slap. I dont really like slap(I dont like playing it.) Are there any people dominating the scene with there fingers. My favorite thing about a player is when they can groove. Are there any players that play with there fingers and can groove? Im having a hard time explaining this. I know people play with there fingers but I mean, Is there a bassist that fingers like Victor slaps?

Edited by Brandonh

I'm not really into slap playing either, probably because I could never do it plus it is never required for the sort of music I play...

Not sure of any pure finger players of the top of my head, but I'm sure you'll find that the great players (like Victor), can use all the techniques, if you want groove Victor is a great place to look - check out his clinics on bassplayer.tv :)

Slaps just a technique like any other as far as I can see. If the music you play doesn't need slap then there's probably no need for you to worry about not being able to do it. (However every drummer I've played with likes the bass player to slap it up a bit during a jam.)

Loads of name bassists out there who don't slap too

Anthony Jackson
Jeff Berlin
Francis 'Rocco' Prestia
James Jamerson
Carole King
Donald 'Duck' Dunn
Bob Babbit
John Entwhistle
Jaco

to name but a few.

I think the thing about slap bass is that it's quite flashy and good for solo spots, therefore it lends itself very easily to bass players who solo. Many of the higher profile bass players are known for their soloing, therefore slap often comes into play.

CK's list of players is a good starting point. But the thing is, a large part of the object ofd laying a solid groove is that it becomes part of the music as a whole and doesn't stand out on its own. For that reason the "fingering" won't be as noticable as slap playing.

I must confess to not being much of a slap fan myself, I prefer a pick, and only go as far as a quick slap and string pull to finish off a particular part, but I think you can fall into a good groove just by getting a good rapport with the drummer and getting into the music.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='9650' date='May 31 2007, 12:35 AM']But then footless tights are back in fashion so who knows................[/quote]

Yessss, my friend saw you at Brighton Market investing in a black pair, one size fits all...

I'll get me coat :)

I think slap bass playing is overrated. It is one of those tricks, like double bass drum pedals, which can be used to good effect but if it is overdone it looses its effectiveness. Sorry but I think a Chieftain tank makes a better noise than Mark King!

It's just because it sounds more showy to people who aren't bassists, which is the majority of the audience.

They think, 'eh wow, how'd you get that sound of a bass. He must be awesome!'.

If you know about the actually difficulty of putting down a solid groove line you're going to apprechiate it more, and hence think it's better. If you don't know about that difficulty the slap line sounds better, and therefore 'is' better.

If that makes sense.

CK's list is great. Plenty of material there to keep anyone interested.

As far as new, up and coming group bassists with a solid, creative, interesting finegrstyle technique... I'm at a loss. Perhaps Nizlopi, Bedouin Soundclash (would love to hear others).

I think it's more to do with fashion than talent. You might be better off looking towards hip-hop, modern soul and RnB for some creative, grooving basslines.

To add to CK's list:

Chuck Rainey, Jerry Jemmott, Duck Dunn, Tommy Cogbill, David Hood, Willie Weeks, Ronnie Baker, George Porter Jr., and Bootsy Collins.

As well as the bassists I mentioned on your blues & rock thread.

[quote name='Brandonh' post='9685' date='May 31 2007, 03:32 AM']Well I looked up Duck and im pretty happy hearing him I will check out some others tommorow.[/quote]

What kind of music do you like to listen to, or would like to further explore?

I can assure you that our recommendations are top-notch but if you're not interested in the style, you won't be motivated to play.

I'm still uncertain about what you're looking for and I'd like to help. The best medicine would probably be to get hold of a lot of different music, try and play along and see what rhythms come (and don't come) naturally to you.

I think the best (well known) fingerstyle players have been mentioned that you can get material on - James Jamerson being my personal favourite.

[quote name='Brandonh' post='9448' date='May 30 2007, 08:37 PM']Yeah, I have been noticing how now a days bassist play a lot of slap. I dont really like slap(I dont like playing it.) Are there any people dominating the scene with there fingers. My favorite thing about a player is when they can groove. Are there any players that play with there fingers and can groove? Im having a hard time explaining this. I know people play with there fingers but I mean, Is there a bassist that fingers like Victor slaps?[/quote]

I had the same problem when I started learning back in the 80s. Slap was really fashionable then and I just couldn't do it no matter how hard I tried (still can't). I decided fingerstyle was going to be my style and I wasn't going to feel bad about it.
Not being able to slap has never been a problem for me.

+1 on CKs and The Pauls lists of bassists, all as funky as they come.

Never learned nor wanted to, I find most people who can slap can really only play 1 riff (can be heard in any music shop that sells bass guitars). Mybe it's just me but to me a bass sould sound like a bass, if you want to sound like a drummer go buy a drum kit. I always thought grove playing was fitting the muisc not "boing boing pop pop".

Just my view for what it's worth.

BIGd

A true story (I have many from my years of being a R&R slut)...

I auditioned for a band many moons ago and the auditions were very professionally run over the course of a day. I turned up nice and early and had the pleasure (gulp) of hearing the two guys go in before me and slap and pop there way through 3 songs a piece (wetwetwet, B Adams, Bad Co.). They were phenominal and 'way' better than me. The last guy came out, my turn. I immediately said to the band that if that was the standard and style they wanted I'd save them some time and leave now. I was asked to plug in to the rig supplied and play any way as I'd come all that way.

At the end of the audition the band were looking very serious and as I was figuring out the best way to exit with some semblence of dignity, they burst out laughing and offered me the gig. Turns out that every bassist they'd auditioned had try to out-do the previous one and each and every one of them had slapped their t*ts off during Bad Co. 'Feel like makin love' and they hated it.

I took the job and lasted 3 gigs. It turns out the band wanted every song played EXACTLY as it was recorded. I was asked not to put in ghost notes, double stops, passing notes... If it wasn't on the record don't do it, I couldn't do it!

Moral of the story - Slap has its place and time and make sure you know what you are getting yourself in for.

[quote name='Brandonh' post='9448' date='May 30 2007, 08:37 PM']Yeah, I have been noticing how now a days bassist play a lot of slap. I dont really like slap(I dont like playing it.) Are there any people dominating the scene with there fingers. My favorite thing about a player is when they can groove. Are there any players that play with there fingers and can groove? Im having a hard time explaining this. I know people play with there fingers but I mean, Is there a bassist that fingers like Victor slaps?[/quote]

Don't worry about it.
You should have been around in the 80's- then you would have worried!!
Everything finds it's level eventually.

Slap:- Firstly I have to say that I'm no good at it, also I don't really like the *sound* of most of it.

I'd much rather listen to a bassist groove than slap. Funk is definately in the fingers for me.

The other problem is that 8/10 guys think they *have* to do it, even if they're not really that good at it...

And there's nothing worse than a crummy Flea impersonator, check any music shop on a Saturday.

Does it go in and out of fashion? I guess so... Remember "just say no to slap"

I've always wanted to be able to do good 'slap n pull. Can't do it. Watched the vids...no help. Same with tapping, it sounds good (in the right context) but alas not for me.
To compensate I have developed 'reasonable' finger technique and happily play most music styles where this technique suites. It would be nice to be able to 'impress' at Jamnights, but for every person who thought 'whooyarr' there would be one who thought T***pot.