Why become a member? ×

Jaco Pastorius Tribute Bass - For Sale !!

Shonks

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='923401' date='Aug 13 2010, 12:27 AM']Yup

That 'version' has never and doesn't exist.

£400 for a Fugazi needing a refin is just about right. The non damaged USA Artist versions fetch £650 - £800; a decent 3 colour burst nitro refin is £200 - £400 depending where you go.

The hardware has also been scratched up.

Shonks, i'm not trying to destroy your thread, but i think a few of the guys on here (myslef included) feel like we're being led down the path a bit. We've had 3 different product descriptions over the course of an evening. As well as a few Sketchy changes in it's history.

[b]I suggest a Mod closes this thread[/b] - and Shonks relist it for his mate as a rough condition USA Artist 'Jaco' Model for offers around £800?[/quote]

£400 for a Fugazi needing a refin is just about right. The non damaged USA Artist versions fetch £650 - £800; a decent 3 colour burst nitro refin is £200 - £400 depending where you go.

Shonks, i'm not trying to destroy your thread, but i think a few of the guys on here (myslef included) feel like we're being led down the path a bit. We've had 3 different product descriptions over the course of an evening. As well as a few Sketchy changes in it's history.

[b]I suggest a Mod closes this thread[/b] - and Shonks relist it for his mate as a rough condition USA Artist 'Jaco' Model for offers around £800?[/quote]

I've got 12" on the slack and I really want to buy this, or at least make an offer. However, I can only remember one "tribute" Jaco model that was very expensive...is this being misrepresented, even accidentally?

Was there another model that was reliced when you bought it? I notice the copper grounding strip at the bridge - this is a unique feature to the Jaco bass, isn't it? A mark of authenticity in the Fender range?

hey no one;s leading anyone up the garden path here.
To start the thread anew might be more interpreted as such.
I just put what i thought was an honest add.Thankfully you've all put me right on this.

Anyone interested in this bass, can review all this chat to date and make up their own minds about it.
I think thats a more honest approach
There's nothing to hide here, loads of pics, and plenty of discussion.

I still wouldn't sell it for the price of a mex fretless Jazz bass, which I have.
I may sell that and keep this, it sounds so cool, but I'll just wait and see what happens,
but thanks for your offer - appreciated!!

this was a deal done thru a Gumtree ad - the prevoious owner wasn't a mate.
The serial number checks out on the Fender site as a 'Tribute series' bass

Edited by Shonks

[quote name='Chris2112' post='923415' date='Aug 13 2010, 01:03 AM']I've got 12" on the slack and I really want to buy this, or at least make an offer. However, I can only remember one "tribute" Jaco model that was very expensive...is this being misrepresented, even accidentally?

Was there another model that was reliced when you bought it? I notice the copper grounding strip at the bridge - this is a unique feature to the Jaco bass, isn't it? A mark of authenticity in the Fender range?[/quote]

It's (hopefully) a genuine Fender Artist model that would originally have been bought with no 'relicing'. These are nice basses that retail for about £1350. Somewhere along the line someone has 'reliced' the bass and passed it off as a CS bass. Shonks has listed it here (I'm sure in good faith) as a special CS version, which it certainly isn't.

An Artist bass in good condition would probably sell for £700-900. It would be up to the individual buyer to decide whether 'relicing' such as this would increase or decrease the value of the instrument.

[quote name='Shonks' post='923418' date='Aug 13 2010, 01:12 AM']hey no one;s leading anyone up the garden path here.
To start the thread anew might be more interpreted as such.
I just put what i thought was an honest add.Thankfully you've all put me right on this.

Anyone interested in this bass, can review all this chat to date and make up their own minds about it.
I think thats a more honest approach
There's nothing to hide here, loads of pics, and plenty of discussion.[/quote]

I agree with you, any buyer reading the comments will be able to make his own mind up. It might just be the perfect bass for someone.

[quote name='BB2000' post='923422' date='Aug 13 2010, 01:29 AM']It's (hopefully) a genuine Fender Artist model that would originally have been bought with no 'relicing'. These are nice basses that retail for about £1350. Somewhere along the line someone has 'reliced' the bass and passed it off as a CS bass. Shonks has listed it here (I'm sure in good faith) as a special CS version, which it certainly isn't.

An Artist bass in good condition would probably sell for £700-900. It would be up to the individual buyer to decide whether 'relicing' such as this would increase or decrease the value of the instrument.[/quote]
was described in good faith as i said, but have changed the description and removed the custom shop aspect in the description.
Never the less, there's to much authenticity about this instrument to be a fraud. If it is a fraud, it probably cost the counterfeiter more
than it would have cost Fender to put this together.
It's genuine, I'd stake my reputation on it. I've been playing professionally for 38 years, and I know a good bass when i play one, Fender or not.
the serial tallies with the sellers explanation too.

T(XXXXXX) Tribute series instruments

[url="http://www.fender.com/support/usa_instruments.php"]http://www.fender.com/support/usa_instruments.php[/url]

Edited by Shonks

Well in only takes a minute or two to check these things, thanks to google.

This is a link to show what the CS neck plate should look like:

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=674496&highlight=pastorius"]CS neck plate (no Jaco signature)[/url]

And this is the Artist neck plate:

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587106&highlight="]Artist neck plate (T serial and Jaco signature)[/url]

Hopefully that will convince you that you do not have a tribute, and will allow you to modify your advert here:

[url="http://www.guitarmart.co.uk/advert/G06188"]"Tribute" advert on Guitarmart[/url]

in case someone else makes the same mistake that you have.

Edited by BB2000

[quote name='noelk27' post='923433' date='Aug 13 2010, 03:11 AM']If you're thinking that it's the Bass Centre tribute "Signature Edition" released in '91, it's not. It's missing it's edition number. Oh, and it's the wrong case.[/quote]
ok, everyone seems convinced its a fraud, - so its off - the bass is not for sale!
Thanks for everyone's input.
I'll get in touch with the seller.

below is how I modified the 'bass for sale bit at he top of this thread.......

Jaco Pastorius Tribute bass,

I seemed to have caused quite a heated debate with this bass!

I'm not up to anything dodgy - and have been told by Bass Chat members ( see below) it don't match
with any Fender product out there. So its my loss or gain, which ever way you wanna look at it.

I'm gonna have words with the guy who sold it to me.

sorry if it wound you all up.

still a great bass though..........!

all the best!!

Shonks
If, as seems to be the case, you might have been unfairly treated by the seller of this bass, there is substantial expertise in both basses and law on this forum, so don't be afraid to ask for help in dealing with the situation. Although most of the time these things end up with the buyer having to put it down to experience, in some cases things can be resolved.
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='923592' date='Aug 13 2010, 10:42 AM']Shonks
If, as seems to be the case, you might have been unfairly treated by the seller of this bass, there is substantial expertise in both basses and law on this forum, so don't be afraid to ask for help in dealing with the situation. Although most of the time these things end up with the buyer having to put it down to experience, in some cases things can be resolved.
Chris[/quote]
seller got back to me and told me the history of the bass, and is quite insistent that its genuine and purchased from
the bass Center.
The 'T' serial seems good, and the paper work with it seems genuine. It does have a cert of authenticity from Fender.
He insists its an inbetweenie of the CS and current Tribute Bass and currently discontinued.
I wonder if all the so called experts here do really know it all...Fender have had so many different models, its difficult to keep up.
All the specs of the current Tribute Match with this one, case, neck plate accessories etc.
The players dots however, are on the fret line rather than between .
That's the only difference I can see.
The only issue it seems is the ways it is relic'd.

It has a beautiful neck with the truss at the butt, with screwdriver slots (not allen key)
the right machine heads (long reach, reverse gears, fixing stud through the elephant ear)
Flat top knurled P bass knobs with screws not allen keys.
Vintage 60's bridge - copper earth - all the electrics look right. High quality 60's style wiring. Had the p'ups out, and it all looks kosher!!
all have the copper plating under the p'ups and controls.

And to top it all, it plays and sounds awesome - so if this is a fake, I'll eat my grandmothers remains.

don't know what else to say............but thanks for all you help and interest!

Edited by Shonks

[quote name='Shonks' post='923625' date='Aug 13 2010, 11:15 AM']seller got back to me and told me the history of the bass, and is quite insistent that its genuine and purchased from
the bass Center.
The 'T' serial seems good, and the paper work with it seems genuine. It does have a cert of authenticity from Fender.
He insists its an inbetweenie of the CS and current Tribute Bass.
All the specs of the current Tribute Match with this one, case, neck plate accessories etc.
The players dots however, are on the fret line rather than between .
That's the only difference I can see.
The only issue it seems is the ways it is relic'd.

It has a beautiful neck with the truss at the butt, with screwdriver slots (not allen key)
the right machine heads (long reach, reverse gears, fixing stud through the elephant ear)
Flat top knurled P bass knobs with screws not allen keys.
Vintage 60's bridge - copper earth - all the electrics look right. High quality 60's style wiring. Had the p'ups out, and it all looks kosher!!
all have the copper plating under the p'ups and controls.

And to top it all, it plays and sounds awesome - so if this is a fake, I'll eat my grandmothers remains.

don't know what else to say............but thanks for all you help and interest![/quote]

Hi mate
I don't think it's a fake MIA Artist/Tribute by any means, but if you were sold it as a Custom Shop Relic - especially if it was from a dealer - I imagine you would be substantially out of pocket (some dealers are idiots, or criminal. There's a 'Fender Custom Shiop' Precision that I played two years ago and identified as a fake, but the dealer still insists it's real, despite not one identifying mark other than a dodgly looking CS neck plate, and has it for sale at £2000).
The fact that the dots are on the lines is interesting, in part because I let my Jaco Relic go as I could never get used to dots between lines (and a few other reasons for sure!). I'm sure some of the experts on here will help you identify which Fender series it is
Cheers
Chris

[quote name='Mike' post='923634' date='Aug 13 2010, 11:23 AM']Would an email to Fender customer support (or custom shop) help define the providence of this bass?[/quote]

I was just about to say!....
Easily the best way to sort it, send them an email and start a thread over on the Fender Forums!

Si

[quote name='Beedster' post='923631' date='Aug 13 2010, 11:21 AM']Hi mate
I don't think it's a fake MIA Artist/Tribute by any means, but if you were sold it as a Custom Shop Relic - especially if it was from a dealer - I imagine you would be substantially out of pocket (some dealers are idiots, or criminal. There's a 'Fender Custom Shiop' Precision that I played two years ago and identified as a fake, but the dealer still insists it's real, despite not one identifying mark other than a dodgly looking CS neck plate, and has it for sale at £2000).
The fact that the dots are on the lines is interesting, in part because I let my Jaco Relic go as I could never get used to dots between lines (and a few other reasons for sure!). I'm sure some of the experts on here will help you identify which Fender series it is
Cheers
Chris[/quote]

I didn't by it from a dealer, this was a swap for my Warwick $$ double buck, and on reflection, the guy told me it wasn't a CS.
but a tribute bass, but I misunderstood, for which, once again I apologize to everyone.#
Wasn't trying to rip off anyone.
Anyway, there's no way you can rip anyone off here on this site, too many bass geeks, and anoraks nerds around here to pull a fast one - which I'm increasingly also morphing into.....!

[quote name='Sibob' post='923638' date='Aug 13 2010, 11:27 AM']I was just about to say!....
Easily the best way to sort it, send them an email and start a thread over on the Fender Forums!

Si[/quote]
good idea,..just sent the serials to Fender... lets see what they have to say

[quote name='Shonks' post='923650' date='Aug 13 2010, 11:34 AM']I didn't by it from a dealer, this was a swap for my Warwick $$ double buck, and on reflection, the guy told me it wasn't a CS.
but a tribute bass, but I misunderstood, for which, once again I apologize to everyone.#
Wasn't trying to rip off anyone.
Anyway, there's no way you can rip anyone off here on this site, too many bass geeks, and anoraks nerds around here to pull a fast one - which I'm increasingly also morphing into.....![/quote]

You swapped it for a Warwick $$ and no extra cash?

To be fair, thats not that bad a deal. Im not sure about the relic thing, but if its just a MIA Jaco Bass and not a Custom Shop, then its still 'ok', but only worth the amounts stated above (which is about the same as your Warwick $$).

[quote name='Shonks' post='923677' date='Aug 13 2010, 11:56 AM']good idea,..just sent the serials to Fender... lets see what they have to say[/quote]

I hope you have more success than me, whenever I've requested information from them in the past I've had no response at all.

[quote name='Rayman' post='923701' date='Aug 13 2010, 12:16 PM']I hope you have more success than me, whenever I've requested information from them in the past I've had no response at all.[/quote]

Yep, didn't want to be the one to say it. They get tens of thousands of such emails each year, and they all go to the small circular storage facility on the floor just to the left of the desk of head of Customer Relations. There are a few websites in the USA that will do it for you for a small fee but, well...... :)

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='923713' date='Aug 13 2010, 12:22 PM']Yep, didn't want to be the one to say it. They get tens of thousands of such emails each year, and they all go to the small circular storage facility on the floor just to the left of the desk of head of Customer Relations. There are a few websites in the USA that will do it for you for a small fee but, well...... :)

C[/quote]
worth a try - just to keep everyone happy - geez...I'm bending over backwards here.!