Why become a member? ×

GT-6B

Guest MoJo

I quite like the look of the Zoom B2.1U and it appears to be a great bit of kit for the money, but I also like the look of the GT-6B, but at the price they go for, I don't want to risk outlaying all that cash to find I've got a white elephant on my hands. I would appreciate any comments. Thanks

[quote name='bassman2790' post='103955' date='Dec 13 2007, 04:46 PM']I quite like the look of the Zoom B2.1U and it appears to be a great bit of kit for the money, but I also like the look of the GT-6B, but at the price they go for, I don't want to risk outlaying all that cash to find I've got a white elephant on my hands. I would appreciate any comments. Thanks[/quote]

It depends what you look for. The fact that they both have a market proves that they have something unique to offer. It is a little bit like asking: [i]"is it better tea or coffee?"[/i] :)

Apart from considerations related to size and costs, Zoom B2.1 is a excellent unit but it lacks of direct access to the presets (unless you control it with an external midi controller). If you don't need to change effects during a song the Zoom might be a good choice. I used to have one but I sold it because I need to change sounds often and quickly (now I use separate pedals + multi-fx).

I suggest you download the user manuals of the two units and read them. It is the only way to be sure that what what you buy is what you look for.

The GT-6B is perhaps the best Bass Multi Effects Processor around and in my opinion totally justifies its' seemingly high price tag, considering its' plethora of decent FX and its' versitility. Personally i do not use one, i play with a Korg AX3000B, which i actually prefer and its cheaper, with direct access to all your presets in the same way the Boss does. However, i think it is worth looking at some of the Line 6 Bass Gear as well, the Live XT is very good for example, especially with the emulated DI etc. To be honest it is all down to personal choice, i would believe the Boss would be the most popular out of the three i have mentioned, but that doesnt mean its best for you! I'd get to a decent guitar shop and have a play around, see what you like. Please don't discount the Korg pedal despite its' price, it's a bloody good pedal, deffinitely worth a look in. I use mine in conjunction with other stomps and it's fantastic! If you ARE worried about price though i'd check the forums on here and have a look on Ebay for some prime second hand gear. BassChatters are good to deal with :)!

Rich

i had one of these units and loved it to bits! i just didnt use it enough to warrant keeping it.

There will be a bit of an argument weather the modelling is convincing... But you need to bare in mind that although the Fliptop model wont sound identical to am all valve ampeg fliptop, It is still a very usable tone for songs that would use that sound. dont let people put you off by saying there no good!

2p.

I'm not concerned about the price as such. If the GT-6B is worth the asking price then that's fine. I play in a couple of bands. The Rock/Metal band relies wholly on backline and I use my amps for this band. The other is a party band that plays anything from 50's rock'n'roll to 70's disco to modern pop and rock and we DI the bass into the PA.

I'd like to be able to set up different patches to suit the material and think that the GT-6B would be ideal for this. I've seen a couple of video clips on Youtube featuring the GT-6B but there's nothing on there that answers the questions in my mind.

if your after the best type of bass effects you can buy in a multi effect processor, go for the GT6B, its effect are better than anythin iv tried, which includes all zoom have to offer, the line 6 pod xt live bass and guitar version, and the digitech ones.

if you want amp modelling, go for a podxt live guitar + bass expansion pack second hand, or if your rich go for the x3, which i personally have never tried

if your on a budget, then go for the zoom. far weaker than the other two as far as versitilty and variety goes, but they are great introductions to the effects world

I don't think there's anything "weak" about the Zoom, but with the lack of footswitches, I wouldn't place it in the same category as a gt-6b. You should be able to think of songs in your band, and sounds you would want for different songs/parts of songs. If you're not sure how to create these sounds, describe them and we could help. If you know what effects you would want to use in the patches, then you could look at more specific "can it do this for this song" questions. Switching between sounds is something very important to consider. Some units might not be able to do what you want/need so you can eliminate them from your search!

It's quite simple really. I have a Zoom B2.1U but it went back in the box the day I got my GT6-B and I've never used it since. Sure I miss the drum machine for practice, the solid tuner and it's east of programming, but the Boss is way more versatile with seamless patch switching but takes a loooong time to learn it (I can spend hours hunting down a specific sound that I know is there and never find it because I get caught up with the myriad of possible tweaks eg. even just selecting the order of the effect sequences of set effects can have a vast affect on the patches final sound) also via a midi connection the patches can be stored and edited on your PC. It's tuner is a bit twitchy compared to the Zoom's and takes twice as long to get to "pitch" which is 5 seconds dead air longer in a gig than necessary but I guess this is because it is uber accurate.

Zoom B2.1U = Golf GTI
GT6-B = Kimi Räikkönen's Ferrari

I've got both. I love the Zoom BUT it has two major downfalls - 1 - you can't name patches - how good is your memory...was that octaver patch on B1 or C1???? Also, you can only change directly to the patch next door - on the older models, you could select a patch - whicg would flash, then select by pressing both together.

The GT6B eats the zoom for dinner - but it is much more expensive - The Korg is blimming good as well - i regret selling mine

[quote name='King Tut' post='104365' date='Dec 14 2007, 04:21 PM']Also, you can only change directly to the patch next door[/quote]

We discussed this in another thread, and there are lots of ways around it.

A big plus for the Zoom for me, is that it's small enough to go on my board with a load of other pedals.

[quote name='finnbass' post='103989' date='Dec 13 2007, 06:10 PM']I hate to complicate things, but don't forget:

etc. etc.

:)[/quote]

er, this is actually the guitar floor pod. The bass floor pod has less amp models, and less effects (inc no delay) and all for the same price!

Thanks for the replies guys. It seems the GT-6B is very highly regarded and seems as though it will fit the bill nicely. I'm not usually frightened off by the less user-friendly technology and like a challenge. If I download the manual before I buy, I can get a head start. - Mark

[quote name='bassman2790' post='104391' date='Dec 14 2007, 05:01 PM']Thanks for the replies guys. It seems the GT-6B is very highly regarded and seems as though it will fit the bill nicely. I'm not usually frightened off by the less user-friendly technology and like a challenge. If I download the manual before I buy, I can get a head start. - Mark[/quote]
'at-tah-boy! :) There's also a [url="http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/gt-6b/"]yahoo group [/url]with tons of knowledge and tips - check out the midi editor software too. Good luck.

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='cheddatom' post='104372' date='Dec 14 2007, 04:29 PM']We discussed this in another thread, and there are lots of ways around it.

A big plus for the Zoom for me, is that it's small enough to go on my board with a load of other pedals.[/quote]

OK Cheddatom - I like my Zoom - I like the fact that it's small - help me here - either direct me to the thread and/or suggest some way around the limitations of only being able to change to the patch next door.

I like small units so much that I usually don't gig my GT6B, prefering the simplicity of my BFX 708 - Id like to use the B2.1u more but am stumped by the patch changing probs

[quote name='finnbass' post='104013' date='Dec 13 2007, 07:15 PM']I think the GT6B is overly-complicated and has a very steep learning curve. The Korg AX3000B is a better effects box IMHO, and is more intuitive.

The X3 is only £171 on Thomann.[/quote]

Good call, sir, on the Korg. I've got one and i think its fantastic!

[quote name='finnbass' post='104013' date='Dec 13 2007, 07:15 PM']I think the GT6B is overly-complicated and has a very steep learning curve. The Korg AX3000B is a better effects box IMHO, and is more intuitive.

The X3 is only £171 on Thomann.[/quote]

the x3 live is £171 on thomann?

i dont know what type of crack your takin, but i wouldnt mind some

• 2 months later...

Just bought 1 of these from GAK, £255 delivered, thought it was a fair price, glad to see most of you like it. I pondered long and hard about buying this or waiting for the GT-10B but I think this will do all and more I require it to do (live work & a little recording) I found this forum a great help btw thanks everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

I didnt get along with the GT6, i found it too long winded and variable in terms of effects volumes from patch to patch from gig to gig, i also strangely preferred (and still do) the sounds from my crusty old zoom 506 (i know!) i really wanted to like it, but just found seperate pedals and the zoom worked so much better (for me) but im sure im in the minority on this one!