Why become a member? ×

New(ish) Carl Thompson Six string fretless

Jim Fleeting

Hey all.

I used to be a rich IT guy in the city, and I ordered a Carl Thompson Six string fretless bass. Four years later, it arrived. Unfortunately, in this time, I quit my job, and set myself up as a luthier. Startup costs and training (and buying a house, plus a huge three month honeymoon) have meant that I think I am going to have to sell it on.

It plays better than any other bass I have played, and sounds great. It has a single EMG humbucker, positioned much like on Les' Rainbow Bass.

It is mainly mahogany, with an ebony top, and a cocobolo and padauk back. Sperzel locking tuners and Carl's knife edge floating bridge.

Since it cost me a pretty penny, I am just looking to get my money back for it, so it's just like buying a new Carl Thompson, but without waiting four years. I have never gigged it (I play my own guitars live) and in fact it hasn't left my house. It'll come with the gig bag and extra set of strings as provided by Carl.

I will miss it dearly, but I promise that I will use the money to buy wood to make mad looking, exotic wood basses.

I am looking for £5000 for it. Please note, this is a private sale. I am on here in my capacity as bass player, not luthier. Also, this bass means a lot to me. Carl is my hero and I spent a lot of time waiting for this bass. As a result, don't expect much of a shift in price. I don't mind if it takes a long time to sell. Then I get to play it more.

Cheers, and contact me if you're interested. I am based in North Yorkshire. My email is [email protected].

That is really interesting, being the 2nd Carl Thompson bass I've come across, and both in the same day.

It is unusual isn't it. Every time I re-visit your photos it's kinda growing on me. All the best with the sale, someone's going to be very fortunate.

[quote name='Steve_K' post='104066' date='Dec 13 2007, 08:45 PM']Could you do a few sound clips - for drooling purposes?[/quote]

Listen to the intro to fish on. That's what it sounds like. I'll see if I can sort out some audio.

It is worth Five grand. I sold a Ken Smith 6 string fretless to buy it. No regrets.

[quote name='Jim Fleeting' post='104089' date='Dec 13 2007, 09:20 PM']Listen to the intro to fish on. That's what it sounds like. I'll see if I can sort out some audio.

It is worth Five grand. I sold a Ken Smith 6 string fretless to buy it. No regrets.[/quote]
Ah, Mr Fleeting. We know of you by reputation I believe?

Yowch... I dusted off my left mouse button just to say.................

UUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

That bass actually made me squizz the jimmy in my pants. :)

Watch out for a desperate man walking the lonely streets of Oxford urgently trying to drum up some 'business'.

No way I could ever spend that sort of money, but could I request some sort of "review"? This looks like a great opportunity to hear from another luthier just what these basses are all about. There's a lot of "Claypool....blah..must be the best...blah" from the States, but I've never seen much considered appraisal.

The pics say a lot, but there are a few things I'd like to know (how much is the neck angled, why does CT often only use a single passive KA, how thick is the body,weight....etc etc)

Have a bump anyway!

BB

[quote name='BassBod' post='104280' date='Dec 14 2007, 01:06 PM']could I request some sort of "review"? This looks like a great opportunity to hear from another luthier just what these basses are all about. There's a lot of "Claypool....blah..must be the best...blah" from the States, but I've never seen much considered appraisal.[/quote]

That gets a +1 from me!