Why become a member? ×

OldGit

Rich

Dear all,

This is the hardest post I have ever had to write. As CK mentioned at the end of the other thread, I have to tell you that our buddy Simon, known to us all as OldGit -- a name that was only ever 50% true, bless him -- has passed away in tragic circumstances. As I said at the start of the other thread, I originally posted it because I had been requested to do so, by one of his closest friends -- it was intended to be a temporary measure to cover his absence, until such times as news could be properly broken. Although I can see that some of you did find it suspicious, and that it probably caused a lot of concern, and for this I sincerely apologise. It was never my intention to cause alarm.
The outpouring of warmth towards him on that thread is at once both wonderful and heartbreaking to see, and in part this is why it is such a hard post to write; because I can see just how many of you will be upset to have lost him and sad to think that he won't be sharing any more invaluable hints or diabolical Welsh humour with us. I can barely believe it myself, I keep expecting the phone to ring or a text to arrive.
I remember the first time I met him... he and I pitched up for a band audition at the same time (he was after the bari sax gig though, so thankfully we weren't in competition, or I'd have come off worse). He strode in, wearing his usual grin and one of his succession of battered jazzers' hats, and carrying this huge sax case which bore a sticker reading "oh my god, it's SO BIG". Made I laugh. I liked him immediately, but then again that was the effect he had. He didn't have an ounce of pretentiousness or a trace of egotism about him. If you tried to shake his hand, he'd dismiss it with a snort and give you a big warm hug instead. He was that kind of bloke, as any of you who met him will know. And for those of you who never did have the pleasure of meeting him, all I can say is that believe me, you wish you had.
The great gig in the sky has become a warmer, funnier, friendlier place. God bless you, my friend.

Rich
DSC01966.thumb.jpg.9b091d3232092602890463e029162a55.jpg

Edited by Rich

I never met Si in the flesh but we struck up a great online friendship and he was always a pleasure to talk to and a thoroughly nice bloke.

My sympathies and love go out to everyone who knew him.

Ironically we were due to meet up a few weeks ago when he travelled down for his uncle's funeral. Sadly, circumstances meant that we couldn't meet.

God bless you Si; you are a true gent and Basschat will be a far colder place without you.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

This is very sad news. I've talked with Simon a few times as a fellow sax offender (as he liked to put it) and it was always a pleasure, a genuinely nice guy. A sad loss to the basschat community and no doubt many in the 'real' world.

My condolences and prayers to his friends and family.

Edited by gnasher1993

I've been absolutely gutted by this news since I heard this morning, and don't mind saying that I shed a tear reading Rich's post above. I first met Si a couple of years ago (one of a series of sales between the two of us, which became a standing joke), and after about 10 minutes felt like I'd known him all my life - he had that effect on you. He was just such a lovely, funny, generous bloke. Last spoke to him a couple of weeks ago, and we were joking about what I was going to buy off him next. I can't imagine what his family and close friends are going through at the moment.

I know it's very early at the moment, but I'd appreciate details of a collection for flowers or donations. Si, God bless you mate.

I never met Si in person but he always stuck me as a genuine, warm hearted individual. He sent me a lot of helpful advice about band management and as I'm sure you all know he's been one of the friendliest and most helpful members of these forums for as long as I can remember posting.

RIP Si.

Rich, the news has shocked me and I can't believe it. :)

I met our very own 'OldGit' just a few times and can wholeheartedly say his warmth and humour couldn't fail to win a stranger over. A real gent and a fine human being.
I first met Simon and Rich whilst picking up our new basses. There was some fun jibes and banter that day; the memories and pictures will mean more to me now than ever.

A tragic and very sad loss.

Rest In Peace Simon, you will be warmly remembered. xxx

Rich, if there's anything I can do - I'm sure I speak for all here, we're here for you mate.

I met Si a few times at Bashes, communicated by email and was I able to help him out on a number of occassions. I am just stunned by this tragic news. Always a great sense of humour, he will be sadly missed. Deepest sympathy and heartfelt condolences to his friends and relations

Rich, thank you for your post - a lovely tribute which I know was extremely hard for you to write. I'm numb from just reading it.
Like many here, I never did meet Si in person but always enjoyed, respected and where intentional, laughed at his various posts and enjoyed a bit of online banter with him too.
I would like to send my deepest, heartfelt condolences to his family and friends and all who had the privilege of knowing him. Rest in peace, Si.