Why become a member? ×

Peavey Amp Broken? Surely not!

cheddatom

Last night at a band practice where I play drums and the bassist uses my rig, we started to hear a horrible bussing from my amp! It's only when you play, and it's only very noticable at quieter volumes, but it must be some kind of distortion as there's no noise when you're not playing.

Because of the recent failure of my trace 18" extension cab (see other thread, still not fixed) I have been running my combo a bit louder than I used to.

Also, because of the recent purchase of a barge concepts blender, i've had a slightly less compressed signal recently.

So, i'm turned up louder, with louder peaks to the input. The yellow DDT light has been comming on in most of the choruses and riffs for my band, where i'll use my loudest settings.

I did read on here that the Peavey DDT system was really good and effective, so I wasn't so worried, but, now i'm hearing this horrible distortion!

What could be causing it? What could fix it?

Basschat caused the less compressed sound and caused me to trust the DDT so now basschat owes me a fix!

Thanks in advance :)

EDIT: I just noticed the "humming and buzzing" sticky and wanted to make clear - If I play just my bass, or just an electric guitar with humbuckers through two different planet waves leads, no effects or anything, straight into the amp, I still get the noise.

Edited by cheddatom

Not necessarily! i had a Peavey TKO combo with DDT all it acts as is a limiter and cuts in to stop you from blowing the speaker, when the light flicks from green to red the amp is peaking is fine but if the light is constantly red when playing its probably working overtime. I never had any trouble with mine, i used it for an all dayer once with 6/7 bands going through it and coped ok.