Why become a member? ×

ricky machine heads

bigd1

A student of mine has a 4003 1974 Ricky bass. The machine heads on this bass keep bracking (the back cover keeps falling off them). He want's to replace these with new ones but we are having trouble getting hold of machine heads of the right size. He wants quallity ones and as the bass is not all original he is not looking to replace with 74 pegs.

The machine heads we have tried have pegs that are to large for the Ricky head, we would like to not drill out the head if possible.

Does anyone know of a good machine head we can fit to this bass, or is drilling the only way.

BIGd

I'm not sure but wouldn't 1974 make it a 4001?

If the correct tuners are failing there must be a reason? I'd sort out why before devalueing a vintage bass with a different type of tuner.

Edited to say Ah, I see that the bass aint original anyway.

Edited by GreeneKing

GreeneKing is spot on, it'll be a 4001.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Hipshot-RICKENBACKER-BASS-HB5-Upgrade-TUNER-SET_W0QQitemZ150194188163QQihZ005QQcategoryZ41434QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem"]These[/url] would seem to be ideal - don't know what budget you have but worth putting a good quality set on.

If they're wavy Grovers I'm sure I saw a posting on either the [url="http://www.rickresource.com"]RickResource Forum[/url] or [url="http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum_view.asp?forum=Just_Basses"]Corporate Ric bass forum[/url] about a fix for this. Might be worth poking about a bit?

Regards,
Steve.

[quote name='bigd1' post='104455' date='Dec 14 2007, 06:57 PM']I forgot to say these tunners have been repaired a couple of times, I think they are now knackered and beyond repair.[/quote]
If he doesn't want them, I'll take them off his hands...

I think the standard part on a modern 4003 is a Schaller - as far as I know, the model they use has the same post diameter as the old Grovers, so it shopuld be possible to fit them without drilling for anything other than the screws.

With a vintage instrument like that, he really, really should try & keep it as stock as possible - definitely don't make [b]any[/b] irreversible modifications.

Jon.

When he bought the bass the bridge was missing & the pickup cover. He has replaced these but wants to be able to use the bass as it stands it keeps letting him down. I agree with the post about keeping the bass as original as possible but as I said the tunners have been repaired on more than one occasion and sometimes you have no chioce but to replace.

[quote name='bigd1' post='104555' date='Dec 15 2007, 12:14 AM']That is an option I suggested, but he wants to much for it. He would be looking for £1100 inc original case. I don't think he would get that much for it.[/quote]

try Mike at Music Connection, he should have a part to fit.

[url="http://www.the-music-connection.com/ricpart.htm"]http://www.the-music-connection.com/ricpart.htm[/url]

[quote name='bigd1' post='104555' date='Dec 15 2007, 12:14 AM']That is an option I suggested, but he wants to much for it. He would be looking for £1100 inc original case. I don't think he would get that much for it.[/quote]
I think £1100 for a 1974 4001 is a quite realistic expectation, unless it's utterly trashed & unplayable.

J.

The bass is in first class condition, not really got any scratches or dints. It is a great example of a 74 Rick. To be honest if I had the money I would have bought it myself, but I have convinced him to keep hold of it. It did take a lot of saving on his part to get the bass he has always wanted.

All the more reason to try not to mod it, through necessity or otherwise, if he wants to keep it, it will appreciate in value.

I'd recommend getting on the www.rickresource.com basses board, & letting them know the problems. They're a very knowledgeable & friendly bunch, and they'll likely be able to recommend replacement tuners, or maybe even help source a set of old Grovers.

J.

Just a thought, but there are some pictures on rickresourse of an Aria CSB 300 fitted with Grovers. Now comparing them to my own CSB 300 they look pretty much identical as far as the sizes go and might be a direct swap. So it might be possible to pick up a CSB300, swap out the tuners and replace the ones on the Aria with a cheap set - modding the Aria wouldn't really devalue it and they sell fairly cheaply anyway. You could probably pick up the Aria for the same price as a single vintage Grover anyway.

If you'd like the dimensions of the Aria tuners give me a shout.