Why become a member? ×

Anyone tried a TC Helicon?

wizbat

Just got a TC Voicelive Helicon vocal effect thingy!!!!!
Damn! what fun!!!! I can now sing along with muse on Knights of cydonia and sound just as silly :-)
It,s got the best vocal reverbs and delays i,ve heard and the harmony effects are just stunning this thing will put barbershop quartets out of business, I,ve been doing backing vocals for a long time and always wondered about getting an intelligent pitch changer to do harmony parts when they are needed but alot of the older stuff never quite cut it but this thing is great.
It takes a fair bit of programming to select the parts you want to use harmonys on, as it has to be set to the key for the part you are singing and I,m just getting into that now.
oh well back to reading the manual!!!

Edited by wizbat

Do they offer any pitch correction features?

Sounds like one of these would be perfect for some of the def leppard numbers we play, but being slightly off-key is bad with one note it would be painful with 3 or 4 part harmony.

Thanks
John

[quote name='ZPQ' post='11653' date='Jun 4 2007, 01:54 AM']Do they offer any pitch correction features?

Sounds like one of these would be perfect for some of the def leppard numbers we play, but being slightly off-key is bad with one note it would be painful with 3 or 4 part harmony.

Thanks
John[/quote]
Hi!
The pitch correction seems to be pretty good I,ve only managed to use it when setting up hamony patches as yet and still haven,t figured out wether it does pitch correction alone, still its mainly only necessary when in harmony mode.
The harmony effect is fantastic( up to four different parts), and you have to add some of the vibrato effects to make it sound less perfect as it really is like a barbershop and can see this working well with a def lep sound, my band is less pomp rock than DL, a bit more proggy but that really classy "done in the studio" sound is fairly easy.
There is a fair bit of programming involved tho as you can,t just key in "oh this song is in E" and expect it to produce loads of wow sounds straight away.
You have to take the part you are singing and work out the key changes in that part and set up each line at a time, You can then set up a song patch change sequence to shift between the parts to produce the sound you want.
I,m still playing with this so I,ll have to keep playing with it till I get it sussed but first signs are good.
Wiz