Why become a member? ×

Susceptible Neck

mcgraham

As some said above the tone did change a bit more trebly - not sure about the midrange tho. TBH, I think the change to my ears would have been more successful on a fretted, I know a few BC'ers swear by the sound of graphite for fretless so this is a personal preference only. The feel and general quality of the Status nech however was superb.

My neck had Hipshot ultralites - suited it nicely.

I fear you might be right. No point hacking away at the original neck. I guess you could have a Warmoth(sp?) neck and see if that is more stable - maybe you got a dodgy plank of maple? It wouldn't be impossible for a few dud necks to have been made. No need to get graphite if you are unsure about the sound.

I reckon a Warmoth neck would change the tone slightly too-
the heavy steel reinforcing rods make the fundamental more prominent, and add sustain-
the trade-off being less resonant snap to the mids.

you could also get a luthier to build a graphite-reinforced neck for you.
(I reckon it would cost the same as having the existing neck fitted with rods)

Edited by SJA

Hmm, that is a good suggestion SJA. If it costs around that (250 according to a previous poster) that would be very argeeable. I'd prefer to stick with a pure maple neck if I can, with graphite only if necessary, just to keep the feel and sound as similar as possible to what it is at present. I'd rather just have a stable version of what I've got!

However, saying that, a graphite neck does appeal to me to. I'll have a gander at the options and price each out.

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='106010' date='Dec 18 2007, 04:07 PM']I'd prefer to stick with a pure maple neck if I can, with graphite only if necessary, just to keep the feel and sound as similar as possible to what it is at present. I'd rather just have a stable version of what I've got!

Mark[/quote]

If you choose to go down the new neck route, specify a Quartersawn one. From the sound of it, you've got a Plainsawn neck which will be inherently more flexible. A three-piece laminated Quartersawn neck would be as rigid as a very rigid thing.

Pete.

Flea solved the same problem by moving from MMs with wooden necks to Modulii with graphite. I don't think you're wrong to try and get your action so low, but I think you might be expecting too much of the materials used in the construction of your bass to keep it that low all of the time. Wood responds to the atmosphere, simple as that. I suggest that you try a graphite neck and see if you can, by using a combination of strings and EQ, get the same tone you have now. If it doesn't work, I'm sure you'll sell the neck for close to what you paid for it.
Chris