Why become a member? ×

Recording software for PocketPC?

steve

you will have probs chap! I think you'll find that your pocket PC isn't a USB host.. and therefore wont recognise any USB hardware plugged into it, in the same way a laptop or PC can.

Other than 'Notes', (a windows mobile app that recorsd in momo) which can record through the on board microphone (like a dictation machine) I dont think you'll get a stereo input.

What pocket PC do you own? I'm using the O2 Orbit.. (and I record all my ideas in dictation format whilst I am out and about)

Your other option is to by a little minidisc recorder, which are really cheap these days, or an MP£ player with a mic/line in.

yes.. its a pain in the backside, but I dont think Pocket PC's have reached HiFI recording yet ;o)

Oh, on a tangent, I did find a really good metronome, a app of pitch tones.. a spectrum analyser and an electronic tuner and an SPL meter for pocket PC.

The last 3 weren't so good, as they rely on the rather naff on board mic lol

[quote name='dood' post='105654' date='Dec 17 2007, 11:29 PM']Oh, on a tangent, I did find a really good metronome, a app of pitch tones.. a spectrum analyser and an electronic tuner and an SPL meter for pocket PC.

The last 3 weren't so good, as they rely on the rather naff on board mic lol[/quote]

Hi dood,

I'm using an HTC TYTN II (or Kaiser).I was thinking of using a stereo mike as an extension of the mike used in the handsets (I know it's mono, I hadn't thought that bit through). I do have a (slightly) battered Archos mp3 recorder, which has become a bit twitchy, I was trying to reduce the amount of gear, plus associated leads and PSU's I was taking down to band prac.

It didn't occur to me that the ppc would need to be a usb host.

What was the name of metronome software you found?

cheers
steve

I can't remember the name of the S/ware I'm afraid.. but I found it on one of the PPC software websites as a free download.

Ah yes, HTC.. My orbit is actually a rebadged HTC Artemis. My previos PDA ..and well.. most of the 'provider branded' PDA's are all HTC too.. T-Mobile MDA. Orange Mxxxx, QTEK, Dopod.. all the same hardware.

As for the USB host thing, Yes I am not aware of any PDA's that offer this functionality yet. Its a hardware thing, not software. You have probably found that th recording quality of the onboard mic is pretty cruddy!

This is my first one, I was pleasantly surprised at what it could do and how much tinkering it lets you get up to :)

I haven't got round to trying the voice recorder yet tho - I've been too busy finding funkier versions of the crappy orange applications that come with it

I'm going to have a dig round for a freeware metronome, I could do with one where the screen flashes so that our drummer can see it :huh:

The holy grail is here :- [url="http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php"]http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php[/url] the HTC user's forum! I'm on there too.. tho' not often. You'll be amazed at what you can do!

[quote name='dood' post='106239' date='Dec 18 2007, 10:56 PM']The holy grail is here :- [url="http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php"]http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php[/url] the HTC user's forum! I'm on there too.. tho' not often. You'll be amazed at what you can do![/quote]

Yeah, I registered on there the other day, It's a bit more l33t than on here, but I agree there's loads of good stuff. I don't think I'm ready to cook my own ROM yet, but I've been dipping my toe in the water, so to speak. How far into all that business have you got?