Why become a member? ×

Wal Mk 1 fretless 1983 * TRADED *

Clarky

I am looking to sell this, despite it being the best fretless I have ever played (yes, I have described it as a "keeper" but circumstances change). I simply have too much money tied up in a bass that I play very irregularly. I am mainly playing DB now and when I pick up a bass, its normally my Precision or Jazz. I would like a fretless still, but a much cheaper one. TBH the cash would come in handy as I have over-spent on DB gear this year.

The bass in question is a Mach I in american walnut/mahogany core with an ebony unlined board (side dots at fret positions). Its in overall very good condition, especially given its age, with just a couple of minor surface scrapes and dints - nothing serious at all but I wouldn't want to portray it as in mint condition. The bass was made in Dec 1983, comes complete with brown Wal case, tools and card written by Pete Stevens. Its not heavy, by the way - not much over 9 pounds.

I paid close to £3,000 from StationMusic in Germany including delivery (edit: it was a commission sale, presumably from the German owner listed in the Wal database - see post below), which I know was top dollar. I am looking for a more reasonable [s]£2700 [/s]£2500 plus delivery. I would be interested in a part exchange against a sunburst Precision fretless, ideally a Tony Franklin or an early 70s model fretless P-bass, obviously with a large slug of cash my way. No other trade offers thank you.

I am in London, work nr Liverpool Street and live nr Hammersmith.

[attachment=85486:P1040259.jpg]

Edited by Clarky

More pictures (from the previous owner, who is in Germany). These give a better representation of the walnut body colour - in my pic above it was taken with flash in the evening and comes out a bit darker/more chocolate-y than it appears in reality. It is listed under the previous owner on the Wal database as number 2231 [url="http://www4.cs.fau.de/%7Ekoesters/Privat/Wal/walspec.html"]http://www4.cs.fau.de/%7Ekoesters/Privat/Wal/walspec.html[/url]

[attachment=85501:W2231.jpg][attachment=85500:W2231_4.jpg]
[attachment=85499:W2231_3.jpg][attachment=85498:W2231_2.jpg]

Edited by Clarky

I have received an offer for the brown case. While I don't want to separate the bass from the case, I would do so if someone wants to buy the bass for £2500 but with a Hiscox hard case (which Wal now use). So its the Wal bass plus original brown case for £2700 or Wal bass in Hiscox case for £2500.

[quote name='TheGreek' post='1316198' date='Jul 25 2011, 08:20 PM']If this sells does that mean you will be Wal-less??[/quote]
Yep - its not that I am not wowed by the fretless (it really is the best fretless I have ever played), its just too much money tied up in an indulgence and I have overspent on DB gear

Edited by Clarky

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='lozbass' post='1331821' date='Aug 8 2011, 10:59 AM']Bump (and smile) - lovely, classic and super-desirable bass[/quote]
Thanks Loz! So my cunning plan to relieve you of your sonic blue AC fell on stony ground :)

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='1331852' date='Aug 8 2011, 11:21 AM']So my cunning plan to relieve you of your sonic blue AC fell on stony ground :)[/quote]

Hahaha! Trust me, the temptation is strong, but I'm just recovering from my last attempt to master a Wal fretless!

I've not had any interest in this lovely bass, which has genuinely surprised me. Furthermore the 'London bus effect' seems to have happened with another nice (and cheaper) fretless Wal FS on BassChat and one on eBay. Hence it looks like a bad time to be selling a fretless Wal and so I am therefore withdrawing my bass from sale.

Meanwhile if anyone searches for a fretless Wal and finds this thread at some point in the future please PM me :) I remain interested in a p/x (with a slug of cash my way) against a fretless sunburst US Precision or a Takamine TB10

Edited by Clarky

Courtesy of the collapsing financial markets my income this year looks set to follow in the same direction. Hence I am putting this up FS again. I have cut the price further and would accept £2500, not including delivery, but to include the brown Wal case. Would lop £200 off if the case were not included (as I have a buyer for the case). Prefer cash but I have listed possible part-exchange trades in my earlier post, to which list I would add a new series (ie, with VTC) Rick 4003. The priority here is to raise cash

Edited by Clarky

A few more pics:

[attachment=87235:P1040405.JPG][attachment=87233:P1040397.JPG][attachment=87236:P1040407.JPG]

Edit: now on eBay but happy to pull listing for a BC'er [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130564006925&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...984.m1558.l2649[/url]

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='1341944' date='Aug 16 2011, 02:32 PM']Courtesy of the collapsing financial markets my income this year looks set to follow in the same direction. Hence I am putting this up FS again. I have cut the price further and would accept £2500, not including delivery, but to include the brown Wal case. Would lop £200 off if the case were not included (as I have a buyer for the case). Prefer cash but I have listed possible part-exchange trades in my earlier post, to which list I would add a new series (ie, with VTC) Rick 4003. The priority here is to raise cash[/quote]

Good luck with the sale, looks as if mine is off to Germany! Depressed UK market at the moment.
Best Regards,

Drat - didn't sell on eBay despite there being 60 watchers (a record for an item I have tried to sell)

Still FS at £2500 - please no offers below this "for a quick cash sale" (I have had a few offers of this type from BC and eBay) as this is my minimum and I am not desperate to sell such a fine instrument at any price. I would though entertain p/x deals against a Takamine TB10, a US Fender fretless P or trade against an Alleva Coppolo 4-string. Cheers :)

I will not be bumping this thread any more so - if anyone interested discovers this in a few weeks/months time and the bass is not marked as SOLD - please PM me.

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='TheGreek' post='1355158' date='Aug 29 2011, 12:25 PM']Any joy selling this yet?? I've put the details about with a couple of people who were after mine..

This has got to sell soon..[/quote]
Thanks matey. Not sold ... but a BCer is lined up for a viewing when our diaries coincide (I am out of the country on biz a lot in next fortnight)