Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Musician MC824DS fretless - NOW SOLD!!

Conan

This was my first "proper" bass and I have owned it since about 1983. It comes from the range made popular by Sting and Martin Kemp from Spandau Ballet (!).

It was made as a fretted, passive guitar but I had it modified (by Howard Satterley, but I doubt if he'll remember as it was about 15 years ago!) to make it fretless and install active tone circuitry. As such, it is no longer 100% "original", but is a better intrument as a result! All other parts are as original, and it is in excellent condition for its age - no dings, but a small amount of well-earned buckle rash.

Its tone is warm and "woody" and it is a joy to play. The body wood is mahogany, so it is quite heavy but sustains beautifully, The neck is maple and is thru-body.

It comes in the same hard case that I bought it with, which I assume is original.

There have been a few of these on ebay recently, and two sold at over £600.

This really is a very nice looking and playing bass, and I will be sorry to see it go - but I have to invest in amplification!!

I am looking for [b]£325[/b] for this rather collectable piece of eighties memorabilia, but am open to negotiation. Although a cash sale would be my preferred option, I would be prepared to trade depending on what you have to offer!

Edited by Conan

If someone buys this from me, I will then have the funds to buy a cab from someone else on here. So you see, you will be helping TWO people out! Three in fact, as you yourself will get a great bass at a great price!!

Altruism is not dead! :)

This takes me back. Also my first 'proper' bass, I bought one of the very first one's with a single pickup. I had another identical pickup fitted.

I reckon if it wasn't fretless it would sell quite easily. In fact, might be worth getting it fretted?

I think £375 is fair for a bass of this quality and pedigree, chum. :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='715492' date='Jan 17 2010, 10:37 AM']I reckon if it wasn't fretless it would sell quite easily. In fact, might be worth getting it fretted?

I think £375 is fair for a bass of this quality and pedigree, chum. :)[/quote]

Cheers for that! I was thinking of going down the re-fret route actually - any idea how much I would expect to pay for that job? Would it need a whole new fretboard or could new frets be slotted into the existing holes (once the filler is removed of course!).

Opinions welcome!!

[quote name='Kongo' post='722279' date='Jan 23 2010, 04:13 PM']That's cheap! Why isnt this gone?[/quote]

I have no idea mate! Its a great bass but I just don't use it any more. But although I'm keen to pass it on, I'm not going to GIVE it away...

Wrong time of year maybe? Although top-end instruments seem to be changing hands :)

[quote name='antti' post='722451' date='Jan 23 2010, 07:03 PM']This is one hellofa bass, for sure. Amazing it hasn't gone yet. Just close your eyes and you can think you are playing some Alembic but your wallet is much happier with this one....... :rolleyes:[/quote]

I know. Makes you wanna weep doesn't it?! :)

Hi guys and gals! I'm still here.... still sitting under the bed gathering dust when one of you could be lovingly carressing my smooth neck and curvy body...

Oh - and the Ibanez is still for sale too!! :)

Edited by Conan