Why become a member? ×

Squire Bullet Bass?

Oggy

Hi Basschatters,

I've been told that the Squire Bullet Bass came in both a 34" & 32" Scale length offering.

I've not been able to verify this on the WWW, can any of you chaps tell me if it's true and how are they named / numbered to differentiate between the two?

Thanks chaps.

Oggy :)

The only one I know about is the Japanese SQ series (around 1984) - these are longscale:

Got any pics of the bass in question? A quick Google gives the impression that the Korean shortscale version just looks like a scaled-down P, rather than having the Tele head & unusual pickups the SQ has.

Jon.

The Bullet basses were originally branded as Fender and made in the USA,and came as both 34"(B-34) and 30"(B-30) scale,between
1981 and '83. They then moved production to Japan in '84 and re-branded them Squier,initially only releasing the 34" model.
I think that later may have reissued the 30" model,but I'm not sure.

I've got an '81 Fender Bullet and it's a lovely little bass.

My thanks to all: [b]Doddy, Bassassin and BurritoBass[/b] for the input, really appreciated.

I'd spotted one on evilbay but it didn't give the scale length; a bass player from another local band told me that the Bullet Bass came as either 34" or 32" scale, didn't mention anything about a 30" version tho.

The chap advertising it on ebay finally came back to me with an answer, turns out that it's a 34", never mind I'll keep an eye out for a 32". Looks like anything with a 32" Scale is as rare as Rocking Horse Do Do, well anything that would sit comfortably in a Blues Band.

Thanks again Chaps.

PS. Still amazes how quickly an answer can be got on this site - love it.

[quote name='Doddy' post='936475' date='Aug 25 2010, 09:52 PM']I don't believe that the Bullet Bass was ever available as a 32" inch scale-only 30" and 34".
Mine is definitely a B-30 which has a 30" scale length.[/quote]

[size=5][b]
Ahggggggggggggggg[/b][/size]

I can see me having to go for an SX P or J 32" and have it moded.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='936785' date='Aug 26 2010, 09:23 AM']I could be WAY off but don't Danelectro have a 32"?[/quote]

Hi Wayne,

No your not wrong and I did think about getting one a wee while ago, not much money and when I tried one I got some nice sounds from it.

The problem I'm having is to find a 32" that has a bit of a 'Blues Vibe' going for it. I have a Fender Mustang 30" and a Gibson SG 30" both in keeping with the Blues, Blues / Rock thing; I'd very much like a 32" P or J style bass to add to the mix - the finger joints just don't work as well as they used too, if they did I'd probably settle for a full scale J.

[quote name='Doddy' post='936475' date='Aug 25 2010, 09:52 PM']I don't believe that the Bullet Bass was ever available as a 32" inch scale-only 30" and 34".
Mine is definitely a B-30 which has a 30" scale length.[/quote]

The Korean Squiers were 32", or some of them anyway.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='936885' date='Aug 26 2010, 10:29 AM']The Korean Squiers were 32", or some of them anyway.[/quote]

Are they the ones that were more like a smaller Precision,rather than the original Bullets?
I've not seen a 32" Bullet with the Mustang style pickup and Tele headstock.

[quote name='Doddy' post='936265' date='Aug 25 2010, 07:10 PM']The Bullet basses were originally branded as Fender and made in the USA,and came as both 34"(B-34) and 30"(B-30) scale,between
1981 and '83. They then moved production to Japan in '84 and re-branded them Squier,initially only releasing the 34" model.
I think that later may have reissued the 30" model,but I'm not sure.

I've got an '81 Fender Bullet and it's a lovely little bass.[/quote]

I had a friend who had an 82 Fender Bullet guitar... strat shaped (no contours) , chunky metal pick guard with built in bridge, two white, covered single coils, tele headstock. Nice guitar too.