Why become a member? ×

Goodfellow Spitfire for a Fender Jazz CS?

bubinga5

tastes included of course, but in your opinion would you trade a Fender CS (my CS) jazz for a GB Spitfire? its a very special GB (a very special one)...ive played the GB but didnt get to know it very well...anyone know what the premps are like in these basses? how good are they?

GB Spitfire is really nice IMO and for me I prefer it to the more expensive Rumour which EBS has both of the greedy get! (Im sure he will be along soon to tell you more) I would have no issue with trading a CS for a GB, Long term value who knows but for build quality and design if its to your taste you will love it and be ordering your next before long, just look and see how many multiple GB owners there are!

[quote name='bubinga5' post='939195' date='Aug 29 2010, 09:24 AM']tastes included of course, but in your opinion would you trade a Fender CS (my CS) jazz for a GB Spitfire? its a very special GB (a very special one)...ive played the GB but didnt get to know it very well...anyone know what the premps are like in these basses? how good are they?[/quote]

OK.

First up, they are two different beasts and whether you should go for it depends what you are going for. The preamp, for me, is my favourite preamp and the whole package gives you a whole range of sounds that you just can't get out of any other instrument. Crazy highs, crazy mids, crazy lows and the amount of cut/boost available to create your tone is staggering. No other preamp will get you in the same arena... Dick and Bernie's years of fine tuning the circuit and pickups is clearly evident. I don't care what anybody says, do a shootout between and other bass and a GB and you'll see. If you want to get an old school jazz bass sound, well, it'll do an imitation (like other active basses) but it's not bang on... no active bass will be - so if that's what you are going for, well, you need to try the Spitfire out and see if it'll cater for your needs. It's like any active jazz bass, it'll do an impersonation of a passive jazz bass but if you want a passive jazz bass sound, that is what you should get. Basically, it'll cover most sounds from most basses... but no other bass can immitate some of the sounds that you can coax from a GB. For me, it's the ultimate in versatility. Don't get fooled by the general opinion that the GB is just a slap monster (it is) but it covers so many other genres. Listen to the demos on the website - slap, tap and finger style all sound great (in my opinion)... and you'll never hear harmonics as clear and bell like than those from a GB. The midrange on the preamp has been specifically tuned as such. (I should point out that unlike other circuits offered by alot of other guys, the preamp can be tailored to your specific taste - remember these are custom instruments).

I exclusively play GBs now - all my other basses became surplus to my requirements and most were sold... including my Yamaha BBNE2 which I thought I would never sell. What did I sell it for? To get a GB.

Whether I would trade a CS for one, well, that's got to be your choice and you have to see which sings to you more. If the GB does it for you, then you'll no dout see why it's not unusual for GB owners to own more than one. I'm currently on 3 with another on the way.

As with all GBs, the build quality is great and the playability is absolutely spot on - whether you play with a fag paper action or you require a lift from the strings to the fingerboard. And the aftersales service is second to none... guaranteed. If you're not happy, he's not happy.

Edited by EBS_freak

JUst reading the posts here and in particular the one from Russ (EBS Freak) and I would advise that if you can you should have both basses as they are such different beasts but both great at what they do.

I love my Rumour to bits but if you want the old school jazz vibe then you just have to have an old passive Fender Jazz end of! The GB's can get an amazing array of sounds as Russ says but it will never be a passive jazz bass.

I think every bass player should have a GB in their arsenal but I am not sure if I agree that you should expect one bass to do everything for you. In the end it will come down to an array of factors that will make your decision, cost, looks, sound and mojo!!

[quote name='bubinga5' post='939195' date='Aug 29 2010, 09:24 AM']tastes included of course, but in your opinion would you trade a Fender CS (my CS) jazz for a GB Spitfire? its a very special GB (a very special one)...ive played the GB but didnt get to know it very well...anyone know what the premps are like in these basses? how good are they?[/quote]

Have to agree with sentiments here that it's best to have both, if possible, as they are different animals.

I've gigged my Rumour for over ten years and truly loved it as an actve bass. The tonal pallet on offer is hard to match, let alone beat. I've honestly yet to come across an another active bass with such a range of available tones.

But it just doesn't produce that genuine passive Jazz sound - Now sorted with a Roadworn Jazz :)

More GAS :rolleyes:

T