Why become a member? ×

Neck versus body question

Annoying Twit

Just curious here, but imagine the following scenario. Imagine you're going to have one bass which you'll use only for practice and playing alone or with a group. No gigs, no recording. Would you prefer:

1. A bass being a Squier (say affinity) neck, and USA Fender body and electrics.

or:

2. A bass which has a USA Fender neck, and a Squier Affinity body and electrics.

For a follow up question, imagine a bass for gigging and recording. Which of the two options would you choose?

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='942915' date='Sep 2 2010, 01:40 AM']If you're asking whether we think it's important to display the Fender badge - the last half a dozen gigs I've done have been on a pretty much stock Squier Jazz. I've left my '91 Warwick Thumb at home, although I did use that when we were in the studio.[/quote]

No, I wasn't thinking about the decal. I was interested in which part of the body/neck equation peole thought was more important for playability, and whether the difference in electronics was enough to override that for gigging and recording.

For me the neck is the most important. Saying that, it the playability and how comfortable it is rather than what its made from.

I love my Squeir CV Jazz neck and if (more like when)i get a P i intend to put the Squier neck on it at some point.
So yes, MIA body and Squier neck would suit me just fine.

By the way, my CV Squier neck is one of the nicest ive ever played and wouldn't be adverse to putting it on any other bass if i needed to (and it would fit of course).

Edited by dave_bass5

I think for the gigging, I`d use the Fender neck option, as for a 2hr gig, I want the best/easiest neck to play.

For the recording, I`d prob go for the Fender body/electrics option, so as to get the best sound/least chance of hum & interference.

Use the best neck.
Don't tell the snobs but you can get a decent sound out of a good solid ply body but if you don't have a decent neck then you can say ta ta to intonation.

For me the hierarchy of physical influence goes - pickup, strings, electronics (presuming active), neck, bridge, body. YMMV