Why become a member? ×

Live recording to video

jakenewmanbass

Got a youtube channel link here to a recording i did back in the early summer, it was at unity studios (where my avatar pic was taken) it's 100% live, done in complete takes with no overdubs.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/YamitMamoMusic?feature=mhum#p/a/u/1/3j6iMJINIrI"]http://www.youtube.com/user/YamitMamoMusic...u/1/3j6iMJINIrI[/url]

Edited by jakesbass

Oozes class. I'll be honest in that it's not totally my cup of tea... BUT.... you've managed that nigh on impossible trick of conveying effortless emotion as a band - and over a wide dynamic range. This is spectacularly difficult to pull off, as the quiet bits often collapse, or the louder parts run out of expansion room at an emotional level. Very, very jealous of the musicianship of the band - it's more than technical ability here - it's an awareness of the whole.

Missing the brylcreme and monacle though. :)

Thanks fellas, Shergold I really appreciate your comments, especially as you're honest enough to be objective when it's not your thing.
We had great fun doing it and it is a very nice band to play in. I'm the MD of this group and I feel lucky that I am surrounded by people who can interpret my incoherent ramblings into such great performances, of course the major credit should go to Yamit who writes it all. She's a bit good :)

Edited by jakesbass

I actually really like the song! Well outside of my usual musical genres aswell. Very well done indeed. Theres something about the beginning though (guitar and vox only) that makes me very uncomfortable. It feels a little bit rushed to me (i think), it fits well in the context of the song as a whole (and probably would as part of an album too) but IMHO theres just SOMETHING thats making my ears prick up and think "I wouldn't have done it that way".

I think I maybe would have mixed the vocals a little bit different at the beginning, just slightly less reverb and a very slight touch of delay then into the mix as it is.

All IMO ofcourse and overall I really like the song.

Nice one :)

First thought - damn she's got a fabulously rich voice!

Second thought - who's that monkey on bass, what an imposter, no way he deserves that beautiful instrument, clearly he should be giving that to me and taking up a career as potatoe integrity technician... :)

Third thought - they're a [b]really [/b]good band aren't they...

Fourth thought - maybe I should be giving away my kit and becoming a potatoe integrity technician....

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' post='946986' date='Sep 6 2010, 10:43 AM']First thought - damn she's got a fabulously rich voice!

Second thought - who's that monkey on bass, what an imposter, no way he deserves that beautiful instrument, clearly he should be giving that to me and taking up a career as potatoe integrity technician... :rolleyes:

Third thought - they're a [b]really [/b]good band aren't they...

Fourth thought - maybe I should be giving away my kit and becoming a potatoe integrity technician....[/quote]
Funnily enough Si I have been considering retraining recently... :)
Spuds have not really entered my thinking though.
Lovely band, lovely songs and singer = 1 very lucky boy... I love it!

[quote name='charic' post='946859' date='Sep 6 2010, 07:47 AM']I actually really like the song! Well outside of my usual musical genres aswell. Very well done indeed. Theres something about the beginning though (guitar and vox only) that makes me very uncomfortable. It feels a little bit rushed to me (i think), it fits well in the context of the song as a whole (and probably would as part of an album too) but IMHO theres just SOMETHING thats making my ears prick up and think "I wouldn't have done it that way".

I think I maybe would have mixed the vocals a little bit different at the beginning, just slightly less reverb and a very slight touch of delay then into the mix as it is.

All IMO ofcourse and overall I really like the song.

Nice one :)[/quote]

Please don't take this the wrong way, I find it interesting what you say about the vocals and would point out 2 things, first is that they were recorded live, in the room, on the mics you can see in the vid, i.e SM58 and SM57. So that takes a little of the separation facility away... onto a mix point, the mix engineer was Al Stone best known for his work with Jamiroquai I wonder if that would make any difference to your view had you known that first? As I say, I don't want that to come across as arrogant (and can see how it might sound that way, not meant at all) I just find it interesting that you would pick up on those points.
As for the arrangement I guess thats just subjective, but thanks for the overall kind words :rolleyes:

[quote name='jakesbass' post='947589' date='Sep 6 2010, 08:08 PM']Please don't take this the wrong way, I find it interesting what you say about the vocals and would point out 2 things, first is that they were recorded live, in the room, on the mics you can see in the vid, i.e SM58 and SM57. So that takes a little of the separation facility away... onto a mix point, the mix engineer was Al Stone best known for his work with Jamiroquai I wonder if that would make any difference to your view had you known that first? As I say, I don't want that to come across as arrogant (and can see how it might sound that way, not meant at all) I just find it interesting that you would pick up on those points.
As for the arrangement I guess thats just subjective, but thanks for the overall kind words :)[/quote]

No offence taken at all mate. Knowing it was Al Stone makes no difference though, its all personal opinion. Like I say once the whole band get going it sounds great in the mix, its just at the beginning it doesn't sit right with me. Im very subjective when it comes to mixes lol. I hadn't considered the lack of seperation if I'm honest but at the beginning I cannot see that being that much of an issue.

As I say in no way bad, I would have just tried it a different way, maybe he did and preferred it this way. Who knows eh?

[quote name='jakesbass' post='947573' date='Sep 6 2010, 07:54 PM']Funnily enough Si I have been considering retraining recently... :)
Spuds have not really entered my thinking though.
Lovely band, lovely songs and singer = 1 very lucky boy... I love it![/quote]

Well you see, I 'm all about the good advice mate ;o)

I loved it, really.

Cant help thinking that Beedster needs to have a listen to this, he may stop fretting so much about what mics to get if he hears the quality of that vocal recording just using an SM58. Nice mic-pre I would think!

[quote name='jakesbass' post='945925' date='Sep 5 2010, 09:42 AM']Shergold I really appreciate your comments, especially as you're honest enough to be objective when it's not your thing.[/quote]
I didn't think it would be, but it's grown on me with repeated listening. Just goes to show you should keep an open mind. I again bow deeply before your collective talents. :)