Why become a member? ×

Warmoth custom bass's

Mikeg

[quote name='Mikeg' post='946001' date='Sep 5 2010, 11:24 AM']ive stumbled across the warmoth website and it looks great.
Anyone had any experience with them?[/quote]

Yes mate. Very nice. Even better now they do a thinner profile Jazz neck. Very high quality. I would have to say that the exchange rate isn't doing them any favours at the moment, though. For the price you'd pay to put a nice Warmoth together you could get yourself a nice Jap or Road Worn Jazz/Precision or something similar.

Edited by SisterAbdullahX

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' post='946016' date='Sep 5 2010, 11:37 AM']Yes mate. Very nice. Even better now they do a thinner profile Jazz neck. Very high quality. I would have to say that the exchange rate isn't doing them any favours at the moment, though. For the price you'd pay to put a nice Warmoth together you could get yourself a nice Jap or Road Worn Jazz/Precision or something similar.[/quote]

........by the way, as much as I love this swamp ash bodied, birdseye maple necked, ebony fingerboarded, Nordstrand NJ4SE pickup'd, Audere 2 band preamped (vol,vol,treble/bass,passive tone), Badass bridged beauty, if someone wanted to do a trade for a Sandberg JJ5/JM5 I would be sorely tempted to let her go. Particularly if it was for one of those lovely aged finished ones in either cream or baby blue.

I've had 2 now, both of which are on the user photos section thingy and would've had more but when i bought mine, the exchange rate was around $2:£1.

They are exceptionally welll made. Everything fits perfectly. They wipe the floor with anything Fender could do.

The only trouble some have with them is the necks can feel a little clubby due to the steel reinforcement rods that they fit to strengthen the neck.

[quote name='Mikeg' post='946414' date='Sep 5 2010, 06:43 PM']i think im gona get either ash or maple with a quilted maple top.
im looking at emg for pickups, do they sell wiring kits and pots aswell?[/quote]

EMG do everything - preamps, pots, pickups etc.

If you go the Warmoth route, make sure you get exactly what you want. Resale value is low.

[quote name='Mikeg' post='946414' date='Sep 5 2010, 05:43 PM']i think im gona get either ash or maple with a quilted maple top.
im looking at emg for pickups, do they sell wiring kits and pots aswell?[/quote]

I don't think they do a maple body, it's either ash or alder, but you can get your quilted top on either. Yeah, I like the idea of the EMGs as well, particularly the new JVX and JAX ones, both of which come with pots and plug in wiring kits.

[quote name='Mikeg' post='946664' date='Sep 5 2010, 08:47 PM']How hard is it to assemble one?
i think im going to use emg for the electronics and they dont need soldering so that shouldent be too bad.
But what about bolting the neck on, how hard it that to do?[/quote]

easy! i don't know if warmoth drill the holes, but if they don't thats the most difficult job, but even then its a half hour job tops. if they do, which i expect they probably will, then its a five minute job, just whack the plate on (if you're having one), and then screw the four/however many screws you like screws in. if you've got any bolt on neck basses give it a go, take the neck off and put it back on, its not a difficult job at all. make sure it sits in the pocket tightly, which it should with warmoth, and make sure you screw it in tightly.

[quote name='Mikeg' post='946664' date='Sep 5 2010, 08:47 PM']How hard is it to assemble one?
i think im going to use emg for the electronics and they dont need soldering so that shouldent be too bad.
But what about bolting the neck on, how hard it that to do?[/quote]

It's an absolute doddle. Body and neck come pre-drilled, at least I think the neck comes pre-drilled, I can't remember now but it couldn't be easier. Setting it up takes a bit of time but you can go on YouTube for info on that. Lakland have a couple of vids on there that are good.

If you're going to have the fretboard laquered then you'll need to remove it from the frets. If you can find my old thread showing me putting together my '56 Single Coil Warmoth in the build diary section from about a year or so ago then there's loads of pictues on there.

It is very easy to put together - just be careful if you buy Gotoh tuners, the screws have a habit of snapping regardless that you've already drilled a pilot hole big enough

In fact, here it is:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=27153&hl=warmoth"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...&hl=warmoth[/url]

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Mikeg' post='946001' date='Sep 5 2010, 11:24 AM']ive stumbled across the warmoth website and it looks great.
Anyone had any experience with them?[/quote]

I'd totally recommend 'em. I replaced the body of an early '80s Fernandes P Bass a little while back with a ready-made off the shelf Warmoth that popped up on their site - I put a thread up [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=70330&hl=revival"]here[/url] at the time.

It arrived quickly, well packaged and totally A1 pristine. The finish was excellent.

The neck dropped straight in. A perfect fit, although the pocket may have been ever so slightly deeper than on the original Fernandes body, but not enough to cause me any issues.

Just watch out for P&P (never gonna be cheap) along with import duty that'll be payable to the courier on delivery.

Even having had it for a while, the Warmoth body still puts a smile on my face.

[EDIT] Oh, yeah. My body came pre-drilled except for the strap button holes.

Edited by waldemar

great kit,can be a bit expensive with the exchange rate,they can do what ever you want,back rout,front,routed body with nice tops
as used on new sadowskys for weight and body resonence.worth giving them a ring or emailing them.
they do nice paint jobs and can put the whole thing together for you complete.depends how much you want to do yourself...