Why become a member? ×

Class D Amp Problem

Mykesbass

I posted at the beginning of August in the repairs and technical section but was surprised, knowing what a resourceful lot you are that I got no replies. My Yamaha BB 500H died on me mid gig. Just makes the quietest popping on/off sound now when trying the switch but nothing else. Took it to a reputable amp repairer who admitted he didn't have a clue with class d amps. Anyone knwo of a suitable repair man (or should I just buy a monster valve amp)?

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='947655' date='Sep 6 2010, 09:07 PM']Just mailed him - will let you know what he says. Thanks gents. I take it Repairs and Technical is not a popular hang-out? :)[/quote]

Seems quite popular, sometimes you just need to bump your post a few times, also there's a recommended amp repairers sticky at the top of the R and T forum that might be of help.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='947655' date='Sep 6 2010, 09:07 PM']I take it Repairs and Technical is not a popular hang-out? :)[/quote]

I just tend to hit the 'view new posts' button :rolleyes:; from my experience a lot of Class D stuff isn't easily servicable though, rather than replacing a blown transistor, capacitor or whatever as you would on more traditional amps you have to replace whole boards from manufacturer spares because the tiny components don't take well to a normal soldering iron approach.

I've inferred from talking to service folks and some general internet chatter that some of the earlier Class D amps (the Ashdown SuperFly and Crate PowerBlock in particular) had power sections that simply didn't turn out to be up to the task, and got discontinued - hence the discontinuation of product lines and the lack of service options. I hope yours isn't one of those, haven't heard anything specifically mentioning the Yamaha units so they might still be suppying spares.