Why become a member? ×

Axe for life

Gilbert

I've been playing bass for 13 years and guitar for 17 years. I have my guitar sorted, I play acoustic only and own a Epiphone Masterbilt which I love.
However, I am finally in a position to buy a high end bass, one that I will want to keep for life.

I have worked on a small budget for so long having various low end and mid range bass guitars but never falling in love.

My first bass was a Tanglewood Rebel, was OK, did loads of gigs and recordings until the electrics started playing up and I retired it.

Then I got an Epiphone P bass, again was OK, pups loud and clear, but sold it to raise funds for my next bass.

Third bass was a Ibanez sr300 pearl white, had a really good tone range with the soundgear style sweeper active pups, super fast thin neck. Did many gigs and recording with this, but I never quite fell in love with it, so after a year I sold it!

Fourth bass and the one I own at present is a Ibanez artcore AGB200 brown semi. OK I admit I was bowled over by it's looks and this is actually a very good bass with a very nice tone, powerful enough pups, and easy to play with the short scale neck. I really like it but I still want more.....

I also own a Crafter BA 400 EQ fretless on which I use roto trubass black nylon strings and use for home recording. I get pretty close to a upright bass sound in the mix and I'm happy with that. But it doesn't get anywhere close to competing with acoustic guitars in a jam, which is a disapointment, but as far as I'm aware, not many acoustic basses do, which seems like a waste of time owning one if you got to plug it in anyway. (Forgive me if I'm wrong and tell me the acoustic bass that does cut it please!)

Any how,

I'm thinking about a fender jazz american standard. You always see fenders used when you see live pro bands and most of my fav bass players use the jazz bass. Maybe that's the sound I've always desired.

This would be my first fender and I want it to be an american as if it wasn't, I wouldn't be satisfied.

I know it's a personal choice, but just wondered if any one on here would put me on the right path. Am I being sucked in by the brand, I mean, can buying a american fender ever be a mistake? What are the serious contenders at the £1000 price bracket?

I would much appreciate any feedback,
Thanks

Welcome... :)
A £1000 can get you a lot of bass nowadays. Fenders seem to have taken a bit of a price hike recently, along with most of the other US brands.
If you're prepared to buy second hand, Fenders jazzes, Sadowsky Metros, and even Sandberg California JJ's will give you a fair chunk of change as well. All quality choices.....

Saying that, you may not get a chance to try them out beforehand.

Nige

I'm another fan of roto trubass black nylon strings & all things Fender. My advice is just try a bunch. The Fender brand has had a price hike but having played since the 80s they've matched it with a quality hike. The Mexican range & the Japanese basses are also worth serious investigation. Welcome to the forum.

Honestly, if you've spent all this time lusting after the Fender sound, there will be no substitutes!
I would say however, try before you buy as although I don't own one myself, I've tried over 10 MIA J's and the quality differed substantially between them. But I guess if you got a budget like that, you should be guaranteed a very nice example indeed.

Truckstop

Welcome to Basschat, from another Fender fan, albeit, from the P-Side. Agree with Truckstop, if its the Fender Jazz sound yr after, especially as yr favourite bassists use Jazzes, go get the best one you can afford. All my fav bassists use P-Basses, but for some reason I went thru so many different brands/types trying to get the Precision sound, when I could have saved a fortune (it was fun tho) and just bought a P in the first place.

As a Chris Squire fan myself I lusted after the Rickenbacker sound for many years until I bought one and discovered that no matter what I did, I could not make it do 'that' sound.

The closest I got was with an Epiphone EB-3.

Try as many as you can - you have had 5 so far so have much to try before you decide on what you like. You may find that the next bass you try is the one for you or, like me, you may find that you need to try an excessive amount (70odds and counting) to find what it is you want.

Or maybe like me, you discover that regardless of what bass you own, you end up sounding like yourself.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, and Thanks to you all for the great advice.
Since I last logged in I have tried a American Fender Jazz at a local shop and was as impressed as I thought I would be. It just felt natural and I was at one with it, I just didn't like the colour.
Anyway after further research and careful thinking I went and put a deposit down on a American Deluxe 2010 Fender Jazz in Olympic White. Over my budget by £170, but I think it's got to be worth it.
I decided to go for this one due to the active options of a greater tone variation which I liked on my Ibanez sr300. It also has a Active/Passive switch so you can run it in the original passive mode. It also looks fantastic and sounds great. I have added a link to a video of a guy playing it.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AnvU52UYvE"]Check this Review out.[/url]

I'm now thinking of upgrading my bass amp.
I currently play through a Peavey TKO 80 Scorpion 80's bass amp, which is a decent workhorse and I paid only £30 for it on ebay. It's just a bit of a lump to carry about and I hate having to mess around with the graphic eq every gig.
I want something a bit bigger on wattage and smaller on weight, easily portable and easily fill mid sized venues with a bit of room to spare. Something that is easy to just plug in and play without having to mess around with graphic equalizers and gives great tone through all the ranges.
I've had a look at a few amps, but it would be interesting to hear what ideas you seasoned pro's have. Oh and my budget is running dry, so under £500 if possible.

Thanks to all for the advice and for making me feel welcome.