Why become a member? ×

Sorry, forgot to intoduce myself...I'm Mark.

Max Normal

I'm Mark (Max Normal after the 2000AD character to hide ones real identity).

I have been playing for 24 years on and off I think. Originally from Dover, Started playing 6-string and had some lessons when I was a teen, I was very into Pink Floyd and the like at the time. Late teens, my mate Stewie from Aberdeen was a Paul Kossof clone and fanatic (down to both the vibrato and the alcoholism). We were sitting round the table in my Dad's alehouse and he said if I got a bass I could join his band. One of the blokes around the table said "I'm selling one!" so I bought it for 50 quid and instantly became a bass player. It was a turquoise Tokai Jazz Bass with a tortie pickguard and it looked hideous. so I cut my teeth playing the likes of Andy Frazer (Free), early ZZ-top, Rory Gallagher, Humble Pie, Lynryd Skynrd etc. My first gig was a couple of months after that pint...

Since then I have played in metal bands, function bands, blues bands on and off. I have done a bit of singing but I prefer to play bass. I moved to Brighton and everything kicked off again even though I'm 42! (still a very hairy looking bastard though), did an album release for a recording artist/songwriter called Mickey Wynne (ex Entwhistle), and now I'm playing some classic rock of the Dio and Deep Purple pursuasion with a band called the Monsters.

I have an E-series 1980's MIJ Fender P-bass that is incredibly battered but I really really like the sound, I think it's the best bass I have owned, and I have an Ampeg SVT3Pro on a 4x12 and a 1x15.

I'm a bit of a geek and I like a beer and computers and science and bikes and trouser flappage and I am mostly harmless. Really look forward to talking to some of you guys!

• 3 weeks later...