Why become a member? ×

Shuker dilemma

niceguyhomer

My lovely Shuker has started eating batteries and goes through a set every 3-4 weeks. I've sent an email to Jon about it asking for his advice but haven't had a reply yet. I'm thinking of ditching the preamp and converting the bass to passive.

I asked Jon to convert a series/parallel switch to a preamp bypass when he put my Wizard pups in and I often use the bass in passive mode cos it sounds wonderful. Only problem is I don't have any EQ when I do.

Has anyone else gone down this road?

I run East pre's in both. One of my basses goes through batteries in less than 2 weeks - the other lasts months and months- and I need to sort the circuit out at some point. I have lived with it for long enough though and it is only as battery.
I will get round to it, though.
Some say, don't run the bass as full pickup output volume, but I haven't tried that.
I take two basses out anyway.

Passive?
it works like a normal Fender but sounds much better than most anyway. You have a tone control but I always have that wide open.

I would never have a problem finishing off a gig in passive as the basses sound inherently good, IMO.
That is the ptroblem with exotic woods and combinations and relying too much on a pre amp... you might miss the fact that the bass doesn't sound too hot without a pre.
I think builders should always build a bass that will work well through the woods alone.

Sadowsky, for example, is normally good at picking and sticking with his core woods, IMV. Although, having said that, a recent example I heard was nothing to write home about and could definitely could have done with a decent pre amp in it to give some ...err distinction, or anything..!!

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='951563' date='Sep 10 2010, 10:06 AM']Actually I've sent Jon several emails lately that he's not replied to-I thought it was just me. He's always been very good in the past.[/quote]

I got a reply from Jon this morning - we're just arranging for me to go across to his workshop. Hoping I don't need a new preamp cos I is skint ATM innit.