Why become a member? ×

Berman Amps

Radiomike

I used to Build Berman Amps I started out building cabs 12" then Bass cabs 1 x 18" then 2 x 18" then Big bass cabsWe worked at the Haymarket workshop in Newcastle and I and Roy Douthwate designed the amps and the "Layout"

I have seen a lot about the amps being no trouble but for valves and rewinding transformers. Well thats wrong We have never had a transformer go faulty EVER when in its usuall operation. I did hear of one removed and fitted to some junk on the market wired wrong and then burnt out. We (Burmans) fitted a new transformer to the original Burman amp free of charge.

The transformers were 50% overrated and coated in CLASS F Varnish BEDE Transformer Co (Used on transformers in submeriens and would work under water.

The only problem now is getting KT77's origenaly made for Greg to my spec, but with a modification to the Grid Bias KT66's can be fitted but not untill the modis done.

Michael Stott [email protected]

Thread duly moved. Take it easy on him though guys, his intentions in posting were benevolent and we all know some people out there have difficulties with writing. It would have taken a little bit of bravery to contribute knowing there was a risk people might criticise.

Mike - welcome and thanks for posting. Nice to have a collection of people here with an interest in these amazing amps! :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='952858' date='Sep 11 2010, 04:22 PM']Take it easy on him though guys, his intentions in posting were benevolent and we all know some people out there have difficulties with writing. It would have taken a little bit of bravery to contribute knowing there was a risk people might criticise.[/quote]

plus the one

[quote name='ahpook' post='953115' date='Sep 11 2010, 08:30 PM'](polestar - anyone remember it) ?[/quote]
It was still going strong until a few weeks ago, but I've heard (unconfirmed) rumour that it's had to close down. The unconfirmed rumour is accompanied by another unconfirmed rumour that it'll be reopening somewhere else soon. I dunno.

I always rehearse at First Avenue anyway cos it's cheapest! (And the guys there are top fellas.)

Here endeth the pointless diversion.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='953139' date='Sep 11 2010, 08:56 PM']It was still going strong until a few weeks ago, but I've heard (unconfirmed) rumour that it's had to close down. The unconfirmed rumour is accompanied by another unconfirmed rumour that it'll be reopening somewhere else soon. I dunno.

I always rehearse at First Avenue anyway cos it's cheapest! (And the guys there are top fellas.)

Here endeth the pointless diversion.[/quote]

1st avenue...home of the stickiest floors in any rehearal studio in newcastle...well it was when i was there regularly !

[quote name='ahpook' post='953184' date='Sep 11 2010, 09:39 PM']1st avenue...home of the stickiest floors in any rehearal studio in newcastle...well it was when i was there regularly ![/quote]
There's still a moderate stickiness, but it's all slowly being re-done as time and budget allows. Steve's actually made some really impressive acoustic improvements to all the rooms. At £6.50 an hour at peak time, I'm not complaining. :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='953185' date='Sep 11 2010, 09:41 PM']There's still a moderate stickiness, but it's all slowly being re-done as time and budget allows. Steve's actually made some really impressive acoustic improvements to all the rooms. At £6.50 an hour at peak time, I'm not complaining. :)[/quote]

blimey, is it still that cheap ?

and i suppose you can still pop to the chillingham for a pint after ?

[quote name='ahpook' post='953200' date='Sep 11 2010, 10:03 PM']blimey, is it still that cheap ?

and i suppose you can still pop to the chillingham for a pint after ?[/quote]
It is indeed that cheap, and now closes at 11pm. Only £5/hour until 5pm too.

You [b]can[/b] pop to the Chillingham after... but these days you tend to be delving into the sort of territory we're covering in the "dickhead" thread. :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='953203' date='Sep 11 2010, 10:06 PM']It is indeed that cheap, and now closes at 11pm. Only £5/hour until 5pm too.

You [b]can[/b] pop to the Chillingham after... but these days you tend to be delving into the sort of territory we're covering in the "dickhead" thread. :)[/quote]

really ? heaton that bad these days ?

i remember when only rich students lived in heaton...all the poor sods (like me) seem to live in fenham/benwell.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='952858' date='Sep 11 2010, 04:22 PM']Thread duly moved. Take it easy on him though guys, his intentions in posting were benevolent and we all know some people out there have difficulties with writing. It would have taken a little bit of bravery to contribute knowing there was a risk people might criticise.

Mike - welcome and thanks for posting. Nice to have a collection of people here with an interest in these amazing amps! :)[/quote]
sorry dude i thought it was someone taking the mick, i have nothing but respect for the burman amps ;o

[quote name='Subthumper' post='953090' date='Sep 11 2010, 08:02 PM']Interesting stuff. No problem getting KT77's , JJ now make one and its very good. Probably would sound good for a bass amp as they seem to be halfway between a 6l6 and an el34. Would love to get my hands on a Burman.[/quote]

I have a couple of original Gold Lions that I could be persuaded to part with, kinda noid about using consumable stuff that I can't replace.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='952858' date='Sep 11 2010, 04:22 PM']Thread duly moved. Take it easy on him though guys, his intentions in posting were benevolent and we all know some people out there have difficulties with writing. It would have taken a little bit of bravery to contribute knowing there was a risk people might criticise.

Mike - welcome and thanks for posting. Nice to have a collection of people here with an interest in these amazing amps! :)[/quote]

Absolutely.

Welcome to Basschat, Mike. Please ignore the peanut gallery. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the JJ KT77 . I have them in my Pro 4000 and Pro 2000 and they seem to do a pretty good job.

[quote name='pete.young' post='954006' date='Sep 12 2010, 08:45 PM']Absolutely.

Welcome to Basschat, Mike. Please ignore the peanut gallery. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the JJ KT77 . I have them in my Pro 4000 and Pro 2000 and they seem to do a pretty good job.[/quote]

The JJ's seem to be pretty tough. A friend of mine techs for Killing Joke and we put JJ's in Geordies amps. If he cant break them then I say they were good enough for anyone. The rest of the JJ stuff seems pretty consistant too, I've been using them for most of my amp servicing work with very few problems. The thing with valves is that there is an allmost endless list of brands but only a finite number of actual manufacturers which must mean that in many cases your buying the same thing in a different box with slightly different bulls**t written on it.

[quote name='Subthumper' post='954171' date='Sep 12 2010, 10:52 PM']The JJ's seem to be pretty tough. A friend of mine techs for Killing Joke and we put JJ's in Geordies amps. If he cant break them then I say they were good enough for anyone. The rest of the JJ stuff seems pretty consistant too, I've been using them for most of my amp servicing work with very few problems. The thing with valves is that there is an allmost endless list of brands but only a finite number of actual manufacturers which must mean that in many cases your buying the same thing in a different box with slightly different bulls**t written on it.[/quote]

not a fan of the jj kt88's they don't seem to have a very high success rate of not blowing up. I got a quad that actually broke from vibration of loud playing! Not very doom at all

[quote name='Subthumper' post='953090' date='Sep 11 2010, 08:02 PM']Interesting stuff. No problem getting KT77's , JJ now make one and its very good. Probably would sound good for a bass amp as they seem to be halfway between a 6l6 and an el34. Would love to get my hands on a Burman.[/quote]
It might be worth you asking an owner, if there's a Bassbash near you.

The KT77's are exceptional for bass, very clear and neutral sounding. I've noticed some hi-fi buffs tend to get a bit overexcited about them in the way that hi-fi buffs tend to with esoteric components :) Asking prices were as high as 250 quid for a NOS pair of Gold Lions on Ebay.

The guitarist from the current band used to have a Burman Pro 501 combo amp. He sold it in the late 80s and has regretted it ever since. The sound was exquisite - everything from that creamy Fripp type infinite sustain to gritty overdrive to a cutting clean sound cleaner than a bottle of Cillit Bang in an operating theatre. The three stage input gain was to die for. Heavy little git though for its size :) .

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='954312' date='Sep 13 2010, 06:47 AM']The guitarist from the current band used to have a Burman Pro 501 combo amp. He sold it in the late 80s and has regretted it ever since. The sound was exquisite - everything from that creamy Fripp type infinite sustain to gritty overdrive to a cutting clean sound cleaner than a bottle of Cillit Bang in an operating theatre. The three stage input gain was to die for. Heavy little git though for its size :) .[/quote]
I can't get infinite sustain out of mine, but I can get a raw sounding crunch with the KT77's. The only thing I wish it had was a 'Fender Twin' setting for spanky Nile Rodgers moments but a Tech21 Blonde pedal might do much the same thing.

BTW, Mike sent the following PM:

Will I started out servicing the amps he was running when he had the Greg Burman soel Bald Real Blues, I played harmonica and a Vox Continental orgen sometimes but most of my time was keeping the amps workin the cabs in one piece and I was driver / mech Thats when he desided to make som good substanshel cabs and finaly and amp that produced the sound he wanted 3 gain setting in the amp allowed clippind and compression without overloading.
Thats what the sound was all about?