Why become a member? ×

Late 90's Fender P deluxe with humbucker - got one?

bassatnight

I've got one. It's the one in my avatar.

I would have to agree that they are a bit special. I didn't realise that they were rare. There have been a few on ebay of late, in fact I'm sure I saw one just last week.

I know there are few members on here who are not so keen on them and in particular the active circuitry. I have no complaints though and have found it to be powerful and versatile in use. It cuts through in a very pleasing manner in a band situation, where I dial in both pups but slightly more neck pup than bridge. The only thing lacking in my view, is a passive switching option. It's always worried me that if the battery goes down mid gig then the bass dies. Having said that it has never actually happpened and the battery life is extremely good.

It's probably not the bass to go for if you like a traditional P, but in my opinion they look damn fine and sound great. Not too heavy, nicely balanced on a strap and therefore comfortable to gig with.

Thoroughly recommended.

[quote name='gary mac' post='953301' date='Sep 12 2010, 06:37 AM']I've got one. It's the one in my avatar.

I would have to agree that they are a bit special. I didn't realise that they were rare. There have been a few on ebay of late, in fact I'm sure I saw one just last week.

I know there are few members on here who are not so keen on them and in particular the active circuitry. I have no complaints though and have found it to be powerful and versatile in use. It cuts through in a very pleasing manner in a band situation, where I dial in both pups but slightly more neck pup than bridge. The only thing lacking in my view, is a passive switching option. It's always worried me that if the battery goes down mid gig then the bass dies. Having said that it has never actually happpened and the battery life is extremely good.

It's probably not the bass to go for if you like a traditional P, but in my opinion they look damn fine and sound great. Not too heavy, nicely balanced on a strap and therefore comfortable to gig with.

Thoroughly recommended.[/quote]
+1 on all that. The late 90s ones were only 9volt, from about 2004 they are 18volt. Here's my old 2006 which is now with Bottlebassman:

Edited by EssentialTension