Why become a member? ×

Hamer Cruise 2-Tek - whats it worth?

BottomE

Got a lovely Hamer Cruise 2-tek from about 1994. It is a cherry burst, completely mint and has had some Fender custom shop PuPs installed. What sort of money should i be looking for if i were mad enough to sell it? Recently GAS has had me looking at either a Stingray or a Maple necked Fender Jazz.

[quote name='Stacker' post='961012' date='Sep 19 2010, 11:06 AM']That was an under-rated bass, that. If I recall, the 2-TEK cost a few quid in its own, but I can't give you a figure for resale, mate. Does the bridge make the bass a bit heavy and how about posting a few pix?[/quote]

Yes, it has something of an underground following. Its a US made Jazz clone and had rave reviews when introduced. Often quoted as being the first bass to get a perfect score in bass player magazine although i have never seen the article. The finish is amazing and build quality incredible. They went for $1400 new when introduced. It is a heavy bass but not unbearable. I have done loads of gigs with it and still have a relatively straight spine. Anyway, here are some pics...

AWWWWWWWWE dont do this to me !!! its always been a bass i have wanted. Dont know the current values but the last one, same spec in blue ,i was watching went for the equivalent of £480 ish in dollars if my memory serves me correct. Lovely Lovely bass. Please let me know if you do decide to let it go to a new and loving home.
regards
Keith M

[quote name='Stacker' post='961135' date='Sep 19 2010, 01:06 PM']What a lovely looking bass.[/quote]

Thanks - it sounds pretty cool too! For some reason i believe i need a Fender Jazz (i blame the guitarist in my band as he is a Fender nut) but when i go check them out the build quality isn't as good. I end up playing the Cruise Bass and thinking why would i want a Fender? Maybe familarity has made me not appreciate this baby?

Edited by BottomE

yes it did get an all star review in US Bass Player Magazine
less so the promo campaign
bad old sexist tosh if ever I see it, terrible

I always wanted to A/B that 2-Tek
CK might have had one in his sonic hammer, I can't remember, Warwick Flashback might have had therm too
Chuck Rainey put one in his '57 Precision

crikey.

Awesome basses, and if you do ever decide to part with it I'm interested!

As for price, I've seen these go in the USA for less than £300 which is a steal, over here I suspect you'd be looking around £400-500. Prices are going up and I suspect will continue as people realise how good these are.

[quote name='BottomE' post='961229' date='Sep 19 2010, 03:07 PM']Thanks - it sounds pretty cool too! For some reason i believe i need a Fender Jazz (i blame the guitarist in my band as he is a Fender nut) but when i go check them out the build quality isn't as good. I end up playing the Cruise Bass and thinking why would i want a Fender? Maybe familarity has made me not appreciate this baby?[/quote]
I think it's stunning - a really striking take on a Jazz with masses of character & style.

I love Jazzes but on looks alone, you'd have to be mental to consider trading that for a same-as-everyone-else's Fender - don't do it!

Jon.

Hamers are awesome instruments & are ridiculously under-appreciated in this country.
I'm a member of the Hamer Forum & have had many Hamer guitars.
You won't find a better made instrument from any manufacturer IMO.

I think the figure of £400 - 500 being mentioned here is pretty much bang on, though I have seen them go for less.
The pickups having been changed might make a difference though. What were the originals - Duncans or EMGs? Does it have the original Hamer case?

You'd be insane to get rid of this bass to buy a Fender Jazz IMO - the Hamer is in a different league altogether.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='RhysP' post='962139' date='Sep 20 2010, 01:28 PM']Hamers are awesome instruments & are ridiculously under-appreciated in this country.
I'm a member of the Hamer Forum & have had many Hamer guitars.
You won't find a better made instrument from any manufacturer IMO.

I think the figure of £400 - 500 being mentioned here is pretty much bang on, though I have seen them go for less.
The pickups having been changed might make a difference though. What were the originals - Duncans or EMGs? Does it have the original Hamer case?

You'd be insane to get rid of this bass to buy a Fender Jazz IMO - the Hamer is in a different league altogether.[/quote]

Looking at both sets of photos it looks like maybe the original pick-ups were Bassline which i think are Seymour Duncans. I guess BottomE can answer this.. just an observation on my part
A really lovely bass though
regards
Keith M

[quote name='ingenius' post='962222' date='Sep 20 2010, 02:39 PM']Looking at both sets of photos it looks like maybe the original pick-ups were Bassline which i think are Seymour Duncans. I guess BottomE can answer this.. just an observation on my part
A really lovely bass though
regards
Keith M[/quote]
When i bought it it had the Custom Shop PuPs installed. Not being used to passive basses i was horrified and changed them for some Duncans thinking i would get a more "active" sound. I then grew up and realised that the original Custom shop PuPs were great and re-installed them. Originally i think the Hamer was sold with some form of Duncan PuP.

I must say thanks for all the lovely comments. My bass is blushing. Sometimes you just take things for granted. I plugged it in last night and did some recording in CUBASE. Just listened back on fresh ears and it is a great sounding bass. Truly rich sound - and the sustain......

I have been underwhelmed by the different Fenders i have tried recently - that said i am probably going for a US Maple Necked one with s-1 switching (featured in the articles for sale). I'll have all bases (pardon the pun) covered with the Lakland, Hamer and Jazz bass. Probably get another dose of GAS soon though...

That bass looks fantastic, i was always very interested in the 2 tek when they first came out, alwasys thought it was a natural evolution of the badass idea!! never caught on though, stupidly expensive and needed fitting by a tech who ad to cut a massive great hole in your bass, supposed to work really well though and ive heard nothing but good things about the cruise basses, i suspect the money you,ll get for this will buy you a fender jazz which is only 1/10 as good as this and you may be a wee bit regretful, good luck with the sale someones getting a corker, i really wanted to get a 2 tek for my 82 squire jazz and i still wonder if it would improve anything over the badass.
cheers - lee :)

Ok, ok the sale is off. What was i thinking. You guys have persuaded me to hang on to it. And you are probably right. There are a lot of Jazz basses out there but not many of these. It's a keeper. And £500 doesn't sound a lot for the quality of this instrument. Wise words - thanks a lot.

(Will have to fund the Jazz from that old 5 string MIM Jazz that i have in a case somewhere)

I'm glad you're keeping it. It will cover your Jazz needs tonally and you'll have more character than all the other REAL Fenders :)

Wasn't there a recent reissue of these as super cheap beginner sets? Just in the last few years. Those were under $200 on Ebay, mostly blue. The REAL Cruise basses like you have seem to be climbing here in the US as an unknown but killer Jazz substitute.