Why become a member? ×

Phil Collins on ITV Last Night

AndyTravis

Howdy,

Went out last night, just as this was coming on.

I know PC doing hammed up versions of old Motown tunes isn't that credible, and he's not everyones favourite drummer/artist/person.

Personally, I really like Phil Collins. My dad always listened to later Genesis and Phil Collins when I was a kid, so i have a bit of a soft spot for him.

I must admit his mid 90's onwards gear has been pretty garbage, but I was really happy to see 3 of the Funk Brothers on stage with him.

Also, having read about Bob Babbitt, I was really happy to see him playing/working. I'm a big fan of his.

Anyhow, i'm going to watch it ITV Player. i'll report back.

Trav

Edited by AndyTravis

I saw the 1st half hour. I grew up on him and genesis, an while I'm not a huge fan, I was always happy to listen to him and thought some of his big band live stuff was good.

Last night however... I frankly have to say he has lost his touch. His voice is not maturing with him at all. It was whiny and pretty hard to enjoy. I'm sure others and die hard PC fans will disagree... But basically I thought it was shocking and his vocals were a real let down.

At the first Ad break...

The band is fantastic, the backing vocalists are ok, if a little soul-less and annoying.

And Phil? Oh dear Phil...where's your bloody voice gone? It's like a Phil Collins tribute singer.

Hmm, got to keep watching for BB, what an unsung hero. Listening on admiteddley bass heavy AKG K55's is making the bass seem just right in the mix.

'Can't Hurry Love' sounds really tasty with softer bass, I think on the recorded version, it's a bit 'hi-fi' sounding.

Reserving total judgement.

I think I read somewhere that PC has had some health problems, whatever they were it was bad enough that he was unable to play drums live on the tour.

I thought he really seemed to have aged and certainly wasn't moving very well.

Although I can take or leave a lot of his solo work I still think his touring band with the Pheonix horns & Lee Sklar on bass absolutely killed live :)

I watched the show purely to see Bob Babbit, I was lucky enough to see the full 'Standing in the Shadows' funk brothers band when they played a few years back & Babbit is a bit of a legend. He'll always be a bit in the shadow of Jamerson but a fine player nevertheless.

Didn't see him on this programme but caught him on Later. He clearly loves the music and is rich enough to indulge his whim and make an album. From what I've heard so far it doesn't sound particulalry credible though and I'd mark it down to end up in supermarket bargain bins pretty sharpish.

I think it's obvious that the man suffers from severe pains somewhere (he doesn't seem to jump around a lot anymore).
Apart from that I still love his voice and I don't understand the criticism, he still sings in tune and he can move me. A couple of million fans can't be wrong ?
I would have expected some more compassion for his physical condition but instead people just put him down, I know a lot of singers who sing worse than him without the problems Phil Collins endures.
The drummer of the band I'm in interviewed Phil and he explains about his injuries (from 2'35"), the introduction and some comments are in Dutch of course

[url="http://www.een.be/programmas/de-rode-loper/drummers-onder-mekaar"]http://www.een.be/programmas/de-rode-loper...rs-onder-mekaar[/url]

[quote name='wombatboter' post='962492' date='Sep 20 2010, 06:14 PM']I would have expected some more compassion for his physical condition but instead people just put him down[/quote]
Although I'm aware of his back problems, I just thought it sounded lifeless, and the whole production and had a tacky 'Saturday night ITV' vibe about it...

...which is exactly what his career doesn't need at the moment, IMO.

He'll sell a lot of records, but he's done himself no favours as 'an artist'.

[quote name='wombatboter' post='962492' date='Sep 20 2010, 06:14 PM']I think it's obvious that the man suffers from severe pains somewhere (he doesn't seem to jump around a lot anymore).
Apart from that I still love his voice and I don't understand the criticism, he still sings in tune and he can move me. A couple of million fans can't be wrong ?
I would have expected some more compassion for his physical condition but instead people just put him down, I know a lot of singers who sing worse than him without the problems Phil Collins endures.
The drummer of the band I'm in interviewed Phil and he explains about his injuries (from 2'35"), the introduction and some comments are in Dutch of course

[url="http://www.een.be/programmas/de-rode-loper/drummers-onder-mekaar"]http://www.een.be/programmas/de-rode-loper...rs-onder-mekaar[/url][/quote]
Great interview. :)

Amongst all the crap I have to endure (from Lady Gaga, Rihanna to P.Diddy featuring everyone who knows) any album of him is still a blessing.
I'm not asking for compassion but the man has done so much for pop music that respect should be the least he's entitled to.
His love for Motown is the fuel for this cd, not the money...
I'm not going to buy it (since I don't like Motown :-)) but I admire his ambition to make the best out of it.