Why become a member? ×

Sans Amp BDDI

King Tut

Cheers for the reply.

Im not after any real distortion or overdrive but i do have the drive on the BDI21 at about 9 o'clock, and it sound just enough but i do hear the same as you, it does sound a bit digital. Fine in a band mix but at home its more prominent.

So the BDDI is a bit more natural sounding is it? Then i think its worth getting one. Its a shame i didnt grab one on here a while ago, they all seem to have dried up now.

Im in central London so thanks for the offer but im a bit to far away to come over. If i order it on line i cna always send it back if i dont like it so its not really a big gamble.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='972444' date='Sep 30 2010, 10:29 AM']Cheers for the reply.

Im not after any real distortion or overdrive but i do have the drive on the BDI21 at about 9 o'clock, and it sound just enough but i do hear the same as you, it does sound a bit digital. Fine in a band mix but at home its more prominent.

So the BDDI is a bit more natural sounding is it? Then i think its worth getting one. Its a shame i didnt grab one on here a while ago, they all seem to have dried up now.

Im in central London so thanks for the offer but im a bit to far away to come over. If i order it on line i cna always send it back if i dont like it so its not really a big gamble.[/quote]

I think if you was to get one, you would not regret it! Hell, i have now stuck my boss ME20b, Behringer and Hartke VXL on the ol bay, the are truly redundant!

as another example i have THIS tone now - and that makes me very happy [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loJ_3hXHNBY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loJ_3hXHNBY[/url]

[quote name='Musicman20' post='972510' date='Sep 30 2010, 11:34 AM']Haha, cruel GAS![/quote]

Yes but Cheap GAS. Im now cured of my P GAS for at least this weekend.

Hopefully im now sorted as far as tone goes and not enough funds to get the P now. And thats a good thing.

Shame i got the Sadowsky first as ive been trying to find a use for that and i cant. Its just too subtle.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='972516' date='Sep 30 2010, 11:37 AM']Yes but Cheap GAS. Im now cured of my P GAS for at least this weekend.

Hopefully im now sorted as far as tone goes and not enough funds to get the P now. And thats a good thing.

Shame i got the Sadowsky first as ive been trying to find a use for that and i cant. Its just too subtle.[/quote]

TBH, im shocked it hasnt/didnt sell quicker. SOO many people like those pedals, im really shocked.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='972530' date='Sep 30 2010, 11:52 AM']TBH, im shocked it hasnt/didnt sell quicker. SOO many people like those pedals, im really shocked.[/quote]

And now there are 3 up for sale last time i looked.

Ive had some interest but if nothing happens this weekend im going to keep it and just keep it hooked up to my PC. It works really well like this but i find its too subtle at gigs, whereas the BDI21 is not really needed at home as i run through Amplitube 3 and SVX so i have all the tone i need for practising.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='972414' date='Sep 30 2010, 10:04 AM']I wouldnt worry much about the mid control. Your amp can deal with that if necessary. That Schroe cab throws out the mids anyway so youll be fine.

The BDDI is, I do believe, their biggest selling bass product because it not only gets the job done, its small and fairly well priced.

If I had the choice between BDDI and Para id go BDDI, because the inherent tone of the BDDI is that quite compressed slight mid suck 'SVT being pushed' tone. Turn the gain up and its very tube like....even just a hair is nice.

Ive used mine through countless PAs without a backline because of space when touring and because the less we took, the less problems we would run into.[/quote]

+1

The mids are fine, the blend helps with that and the way you use the bass and treble adds some of the mids... I did a earlier in the year and played through a very tastey SWR vavle pre amp with 6x10.. I thought it sounded great for the 1st set.. for the second set they moved the bass amp we ran out of time to move it back, I used the sanamp just as a DI, and used a wegde to hear myself and everyone inc the sound guy said it sounded miles better.. I don't leave home without it unless I have my own rig.. and sometimes, it's a great spare amp too :-)

I'm interested in the mxr bas Di, as a lot of people say it's better, I just haven't tried it yet.

They are also built like tanks.. My friend has one and he's had it for years and he's very 'heavy handed', it still works fine.. he never borrow my gear though :-)

Edited by algmusic

[quote name='algmusic' post='972674' date='Sep 30 2010, 01:50 PM']+1

The mids are fine, the blend helps with that and the way you use the bass and treble adds some of the mids... I did a earlier in the year and played through a very tastey SWR vavle pre amp with 6x10.. I thought it sounded great for the 1st set.. for the second set they moved the bass amp we ran out of time to move it back, I used the sanamp just as a DI, and used a wegde to hear myself and everyone inc the sound guy said it sounded miles better.. I don't leave home without it unless I have my own rig.. and sometimes, it's a great spare amp too :-)

I'm interested in the mxr bas Di, as a lot of people say it's better, I just haven't tried it yet.

They are also built like tanks.. My friend has one and he's had it for years and he's very 'heavy handed', it still works fine.. he never borrow my gear though :-)[/quote]

Well i cant say ive had many problems with my BDI21 so im not really worried about the mids. I know what to expect.

I did think very hard about the MXR but as i like what i already have i felt it was worth sticking with it, only a bit better. I really dont intend to switch it on and off, and least not during songs as i use a radio system and dont want to have to run any cables on the stage, so to be able to switch channels during a song is of no use to me.
It does sound nice though.

I did my first gig with my BDDI last night and it was a mixed bag.

First off the venue was an old castle with a high wooden, very live stage. my rig was sitting in front of but not in) a bay window. I also didn't have my Gramma pad with me. So, i expected the worse.

To be honest i dont think it mattered what i did, the tone was boomy and muddy on stage, and quite toppy off it out in the room.
I did use the BDDI all night though, but with quite different setting to how i normally set my BDI21. I made the most of it and i guess the BDI21 wouldn't have been any different.
Im happy with it though, it does seem well built (although lighter than my BDI21) and did the job of fattening the tone. I kept the blend to around 25-30%. Normally i would have it pretty high but there was already too much low end.

Back to normal gigs this weekend coming so ill be able to judge it a bit better.

One question. With the level knob at minimum there is still some audio. Is this how it should be? Not a big deal as i can imagine turning it right off anyway.

Im going to try and keep off this forum as much a si can this coming week, its costing me too much ;-)

Edited by dave_bass5