Why become a member? ×

New Bass Day!

lanark

Yes, I know it costs less than £300, but it's the first brand new bass guitar I've bought, so I'ma little excited.

I'm picking it up from Mor Music in York this afternoon. They've fitted it with flats for no extra charge (and given me the original rounds as well) and given it a full set up. Any advice on what I should do with it when I get it home (even obvious stuff please) apart from play it?

Unfortunately, today's my wedding anniversary as well, so I don't think I'll get away with playing it all night .... maybe tomorrow.

[quote name='lanark' post='963166' date='Sep 21 2010, 11:59 AM']Yes, I know it costs less than £300, but it's the first brand new bass guitar I've bought, so I'ma little excited.

I'm picking it up from Mor Music in York this afternoon. They've fitted it with flats for no extra charge (and given me the original rounds as well) and given it a full set up. Any advice on what I should do with it when I get it home (even obvious stuff please) apart from play it?

Unfortunately, today's my wedding anniversary as well, so I don't think I'll get away with playing it all night .... maybe tomorrow.[/quote]

Very important - first you must take some pictures & post them here! C'mon share the moment :lol:

Nice of the shop to fit flats for you FOC & a setup, sounds like a good place, long way from me though :)

It's not the cost that matters, it's what you do with it that counts!

Congrats on the new bass & the anniversary - have fun :rolleyes:

Cheerz, John

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='963173' date='Sep 21 2010, 12:05 PM']Them telling you that they've given it a "full setup" means didely-squit. So equip yourself with Allen keys and a Philips and set it up the way you like it... then tell the wife you've got a bad back and play bass all night. :)[/quote]

Yeah, I know that about the setup, but they're a proper guitar shop, with a full time guitar tech there, not a general purpose pile it up and get it out "we sell everything from kazoos to grand pianos" place like Banks in York. So at the very least I know that the neck will be attached properly and any obvious deficiencies in the electrics and tension should have been noticed and sorted.

Time now to also get a decent case / bag I think. I have the world's worst gig bag ... one that only opens at the bottom, so every time I get it out it's detuned and I'm having to stand it on its head - not good at all.

Well, it's rather nice. Out all night tonight too - when am I going to get chance to give it good test? Darnit!

Okay - the Classic Vibe Jazz is a lovely guitar to play. The shop has put on Chromes - really nice of them and they're what I have on my P at the moment, but I have a gig on Friday and I don't have time to wear them in. As they're still going to be too clanky by then, I'm going to swop them with the strings on the P which have now got that really dull flat sound I'm looking for.

I've taken the protective plastic off everything (remembering to unscrew the scratchguard screws - hate those little scraps of plastic that get left behind. How do people live with those? Eugh.

Will take photos when I'm changing the strings on Thursday night.