Why become a member? ×

Forgive me

ogrimark

It maight be a daft one but i was sat thinking about it and come the conclusion :)

I currently have a TE 715 combo and an extension cab. That bit i have worked out using the equation (combo+ext=louder).
on the back of my extenstion is an output that says link.
the question is can i run another extension cab from this and if so will the equation be (combo+ext+ext=tall+reallyloud)
or is something likely to go pop?

help.

as you can see. i like sh*te simple :rolleyes:

Your amp has a minimum impedence rating, it must see at least this much impedence from the cabs. The more cabs you add, the less impedence your amp sees, so be careful! Someone more knowledgable will be in in a sec, but I felt the need to post so that I may forgive you.

You're forgiven

IN all likelihood the minimum impedance of that combo is 4ohms. It could conceivably be 2 Ohms, but that is highly unlikely. Check your manual or the back panel of the amp.

It doesnt matter how many cabs you plug into it, as long as you DONT go under that ohmage.

Typically (again almost certainly in this case) any extension cab you plug in will be wired in parallel to the internal speaker. Also typically (almost certainly in this case) if you daisy chain off the extension cab that will also be a parallel link.

The formual for working out parallel wired resistance is

1/TOTAL = 1/cabA + 1/cabB + 1/cabC + 1/cabD......

So if your internal speaker is 8 ohm, and your extension cab is 8 ohm you have:-

1/TOTAL = 1/8 + 1/8

1/TOTAL = 2/8 = 1/4

TOTAL = 4 ohms

if you add another extension you get

1/TOTAL = 1/8 + 1/8 + 1/8

1/TOTAL = 3/8

TOTAL = 2.6667

If your amp is rated to 4 ohms then, it will release the magic smoke at this point....

If it is rated at 2 Ohms it will be fine.

A little checking and its definitely a 4ohm minimum amp with an 8 ohm extension cab, so no more extension speakers from here on, unless you want to go through the rigmarole of series parallel wiring, specially made up leads for ever diminishing returns as you ask too much of the amp....

[quote name='ogrimark' post='964140' date='Sep 22 2010, 09:38 AM']:) so if i link 2 cabs together that are 8ohms the this would drop it down to 4ohms? is that right :rolleyes:
Thats not gonna work then. bugger :lol:

cheers.[/quote]

Yes that's correct.

If we assume the amp part of you combo has a rating of 4ohm, and that two x 8ohm cabs = 4ohm, then that cab part of your combo counts towards the overall rating, so yes only one 8ohm extension cab.

Need more amps then :)

cheers.

i will have a look at the back of the amp just to make sure but i thought it said something about min 8ohms on the back of the amp. it has 2 outputs.
was just an idea to get taller than the guitarist :rolleyes: and annoy him.

Edited by ogrimark

[quote name='ogrimark' post='964220' date='Sep 22 2010, 10:47 AM']like it, but i need more speaker height to annoy properly :rolleyes:[/quote]

Take 'em all, and only plug one extension in (I did that to annoy a guitar player once with my old PA speakers plus a 410 and my 1x15 combo on top, he didn't notice that I only had the combo and the 410 driving. Just got narky that mine was bigger than his.

I am that childish. :)

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='964237' date='Sep 22 2010, 11:04 AM']Take 'em all, and only plug one extension in (I did that to annoy a guitar player once with my old PA speakers plus a 410 and my 1x15 combo on top, he didn't notice that I only had the combo and the 410 driving. Just got narky that mine was bigger than his.

I am that childish. :)[/quote]
+1 if your back will hold out!!!

Tried that one and it worked on the annoyed stakes untill he realised what was actually running then he laughed.
I have hopefully got a 410 inbound and was wondering if i could do a 1x15, 1x410 1x15combo stack all working to really fek him orf.

saying that i would have one hell of a reach to get my beer :)

[quote name='ogrimark' post='964168' date='Sep 22 2010, 10:01 AM']Need more amps then :)

cheers.

i will have a look at the back of the amp just to make sure but i thought it said something about min 8ohms on the back of the amp. it has 2 outputs.
was just an idea to get taller than the guitarist :rolleyes: and annoy him.[/quote]

Or a different extension cab that pushes more air - maybe a 4x10 or bigger. Loudness, as I'm sure will be pointed out isn't just about watts, it's about efficiency and air movement - a 4x10 extension cab will likely feel much louder than a 1x15 extension cab, for example. So unless you're playing enormous venues without a PA, think about this (it also gives you flexibility as to which setup to take with you).

[quote name='lanark' post='965314' date='Sep 23 2010, 09:52 AM']Or a different extension cab that pushes more air - maybe a 4x10 or bigger. Loudness, as I'm sure will be pointed out isn't just about watts, it's about efficiency and air movement - a 4x10 extension cab will likely feel much louder than a 1x15 extension cab, for example. So unless you're playing enormous venues without a PA, think about this (it also gives you flexibility as to which setup to take with you).[/quote]

Oh yeh, i got that one in hand, hopefully got a 4x10 cab on the way :) :) :lol:

:) Right then i have been up and used my kit tonight for a practice. the combo is a trace elliot 7215. it has 2 jack connectors on the back that say min 4ohms. one is connected to the combo speaker. the other is connected to my 8ohm cab. the cab does say link is parallel.
so if i connect this to another 8ohm cab amp will go pop :lol: or because it is going into a different socket to the combo speaker will it be sweet :) ? my bad and sorry but i am new to this and there is not a right lot of info on back of amp.

cheers.

again.

Right first time - it'll go pop. :)

That's because the amp output sockets are wired in parallel as well. Whether you connect directly from the amp or via the link on the cab, the cabs will still be wired in parallel resulting in an impedance too low for your amp to handle.