Why become a member? ×

Boxes (bass or guitar size) in Newcastle

Musicman20

Im packing two basses tonight.

Ive got more than enough for one bass, and the padding/proper tape. I go overboard so it should be safe.

Can anyone suggest anywhere I could go to get a few cheeky boxes? They dont have to be guitar or bass shapes as I normally cut them to shape, then cover them in tape and padding. Eg a TV box or anything like that....Id need a few obviously.

Ideas?

Im going to ring Soundslive in a bit. GuitarGuitar said they charge £5 for a used tatty box. No thanks.

I might drop by Tesco / etc.

If you post a lot of basses & guitars, supermarket fruit boxes are the business:

[attachment=59500:fruitbox.jpg]

Your local Lidl will be delighted to let you take away as many of these as you can carry (they have to dispose of hundreds every day), and four of these & a hot-melt glue gun will build you a bomb-proof bass box. These are extremely rigid, with reinforced corners - they're designed to be stacked while filled with fruit & veg so they have to be sturdy.

You have to unstick a couple of ends to make them overlap, bubble-wrap the bass, pack the box out with newspaper/whatever to stop it moving about inside and glue the top on by undoing ends to make it overlap. Cover any holes (these often have perforations/carrying handles) with sticky tape. They're adaptable too - use fewer boxes for guitars or instruments posted with the neck off. They come in half-sizes too which are useful for different sized instruments.

I'll do a photo tutorial next time I pack a bass!

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='965625' date='Sep 23 2010, 02:22 PM']If you post a lot of basses & guitars, supermarket fruit boxes are the business:

[attachment=59500:fruitbox.jpg]

Your local Lidl will be delighted to let you take away as many of these as you can carry (they have to dispose of hundreds every day), and four of these & a hot-melt glue gun will build you a bomb-proof bass box. These are extremely rigid, with reinforced corners - they're designed to be stacked while filled with fruit & veg so they have to be sturdy.

You have to unstick a couple of ends to make them overlap, bubble-wrap the bass, pack the box out with newspaper/whatever to stop it moving about inside and glue the top on by undoing ends to make it overlap. Cover any holes (these often have perforations/carrying handles) with sticky tape. They're adaptable too - use fewer boxes for guitars or instruments posted with the neck off. They come in half-sizes too which are useful for different sized instruments.

I'll do a photo tutorial next time I pack a bass!

Jon.[/quote]

Hi Jon

Thanks....Ive used some of these before and their is a market right near me that uses these boxes. Ill go and ask them on the way home. Both basses are hardcased so its going to take a fair bit of work, but worth it.

Cheers

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='965637' date='Sep 23 2010, 02:34 PM']Hi Jon

Thanks....Ive used some of these before and their is a market right near me that uses these boxes. Ill go and ask them on the way home. Both basses are hardcased so its going to take a fair bit of work, but worth it.

Cheers[/quote]
Some great ideas and all music to my ears - been struggling with this to complete a sale to a (very patient!) fellow basschatter.

I'm off down the local Lidl/Halfords asap!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='965594' date='Sep 23 2010, 01:51 PM']Im packing two basses tonight.

Ive got more than enough for one bass, and the padding/proper tape. I go overboard so it should be safe.

Can anyone suggest anywhere I could go to get a few cheeky boxes? They dont have to be guitar or bass shapes as I normally cut them to shape, then cover them in tape and padding. Eg a TV box or anything like that....Id need a few obviously.

Ideas?

Im going to ring Soundslive in a bit. GuitarGuitar said they charge £5 for a used tatty box. No thanks.

I might drop by Tesco / etc.[/quote]

£5? Christ. Our guitar shop just gave us boxes for free. Saves them having to pay to take it to the dump or whatever.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='965594' date='Sep 23 2010, 01:51 PM']Im going to ring Soundslive in a bit. GuitarGuitar said they charge £5 for a used tatty box. No thanks.[/quote]

That really is a poor show. However, I've known people to ring Sounds Live and ask for boxes and get a negative reply. Said caller, suspicious that the sales assistant didn't actually check the stock room crosses the road and goes to shop and gets a box!

If you're going to cycle shops check Steel's Cycles in Gosforth or Edinburgh Cycles at the top of Shields Road, Byker, they're usually good for boxes!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='966036' date='Sep 23 2010, 08:21 PM']That really is a poor show. However, I've known people to ring Sounds Live and ask for boxes and get a negative reply. Said caller, suspicious that the sales assistant didn't actually check the stock room crosses the road and goes to shop and gets a box!

If you're going to cycle shops check Steel's Cycles in Gosforth or Edinburgh Cycles at the top of Shields Road, Byker, they're usually good for boxes![/quote]

Cheers. I agree. Soundslive didnt even go and look when I rang, they just said 'sorry no'. Ive been in before and got one though.

Ive managed to make two massive mega boxes from 4 or 5 small thick boxes, and put extra padding on the corners etc. The basses are in hardcases and also the hardcase is covered in bubble wrap....then about 2 layers of thick card or more.

I go a bit over the top!

GuitarGuitar are never that helpful I find. The bigger they get the worse they become unfortunately....last year they seemed much more open and happy!