Why become a member? ×

Too loud, no sensitivity, no articulation..

bubinga5

Have you ever been in a band that just plays too loud....i went for a rehearsal recently that wanted to do some classic funk covers...i turned up and started playing with these guys, and everything and i mean everything was too loud...im a big believer in sensitivity, space and articulation when playing with anyone.in any musical situation....when i turn up to an audition, im auditioning them as well as them auditioning me...it seems to be one sided when doing this sometimes

the drummer was bashing the sh*t out of the drums, the guitarist had a Gibson and was used to playing rock, so his rythm playing was anything but...The male singer didnt have a good voice, and was just belting them out...they told me there used to playing in rough pubs, not that that has anything to do with it...ok there may be a trained ear in the crowd but most are pissed of high and dont care...the only one i thought was good was the organist but he was lost in the mix.. on top of this they were pissed...i never play drunk...i have too much respect for the music...that and i cant play drunk.

do you have to be a pro, to play with people who understand the dynamics of good music...maybe im missing the point? anyway i didnt enjoy playing with them...i had the Aggy very very loud, but struggled to get an audible bass note out of it......ive had friends who used to listen to music so loud, i thought they werent really interested in the music...just the effect of loud music.., and i could never understand it..ive always listened to music so i can hear it properly...

ive never listened to music on my stereo very loud..i want to hear whats going on..ive have always analysed music, unless its at a party of something. IMO articulation and space and a bit more thought goes so far...

i guess im being a snob and its just fun after all? i just like what i like...

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='965750' date='Sep 23 2010, 04:06 PM']Have you ever been in a band that just plays too loud....i went for a rehearsal recently that wanted to do some classic funk covers...i turned up and started playing with these guys, and everything and i mean everything was too loud...im a big believer in sensitivity, space and articulation when playing with anyone.in any musical situation....when i turn up to an audition, im auditioning them as well as them auditioning me...it seems to be one sided when doing this sometimes

the drummer was bashing the sh*t out of the drums, the guitarist had a Gibson and was used to playing rock, so his rythm playing was anything but...The male singer didnt have a good voice, and was just belting them out...they told me there used to playing in rough pubs, not that that has anything to do with it...ok there may be a trained ear in the crowd but most are pissed of high and dont care...the only one i thought was good was the organist but he was lost in the mix.. on top of this they were pissed...i never play drunk...i have too much respect for the music...that and i cant play drunk.

do you have to be a pro, to play with people who understand the dynamics of good music...maybe im missing the point? anyway i didnt enjoy playing with them...i had the Aggy very very loud, but struggled to get an audible bass note out of it......ive had friends who used to listen to music so loud, i thought they werent really interested in the music...just the effect of loud music.., and i could never understand it..ive always listened to music so i can hear it properly...

ive never listened to music on my stereo very loud..i want to hear whats going on..ive have always analysed music, unless its at a party of something. IMO articulation and space and a bit more thought goes so far...

i guess im being a snob and its just fun after all? i just like what i like...[/quote]

+10000

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='965754' date='Sep 23 2010, 04:09 PM']I agree about some people who seem to just listen to loud music for the sake of it being loud. I dunno whether they enjoy the vibrations or what but there is a point at which it really is just too loud to hear it![/quote]
this is great in a live situation but when you are trying to rehearse its not good for working out things...of course i love it loud..but when your trying to articulate musicians that work together as a well oiled machine, which is what it should be period.. its a hindrance..

im not a pro but i think when you got paying customers you should be tight..

Edited by bubinga5

I listen to music quite loud in the car, or when i'm mixing, but I don't mean club volume levels.

As far as bands go - a lot of "musicians" really don't have the first clue when it comes to creating a mix. Sometimes all that takes is experience. When my band started we used to practise in a spare room that was so small, none of us realise how loud we were until neighbours from the top of the road (about 20 houses up) started complaining.

I wouldn't knock playing when pissed just for the sake of it - i'm sure some people play better or at least equally well when pissed.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='965774' date='Sep 23 2010, 04:18 PM']this is great in a live situation but when you are trying to rehearse its not good for working out things...[/quote]

TBH it pisses me off when live bands are so bloody loud all the time. Do sound techs learn during their training that the ideal sound pressure level is for listening to music is one that requires everybody in the room to be wearing ear protection? It makes me really angry. Especially when it's us on stage.

Nice sig by the way. Half a screen of gear you don't even have any more.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='965752' date='Sep 23 2010, 04:08 PM']They enjoy playing their way you don't so walk away.[/quote]

Can't help but agree. There's a whole lot more to playing music than the quality of the music. I played in a monstrously loud rock band for a while.

Could I hear myself? No.

Could I feel myself? Oh yeh :)

Did I enjoy it? Loved it!

Did it sound good? No, it sounded bloody terrible :rolleyes:

C

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='965841' date='Sep 23 2010, 05:15 PM']TBH it pisses me off when live bands are so bloody loud all the time. Do sound techs learn during their training that the ideal sound pressure level is for listening to music is one that requires everybody in the room to be wearing ear protection? It makes me really angry. Especially when it's us on stage.

Nice sig by the way. Half a screen of gear you don't even have any more.[/quote]

I think sound techs do get it but when venues and bands pay peanuts you know what you get.
I have retired now but I can judge quite well what volume a show should be, if it’s a rock band then it’s a lot louder than a folk trio. The acoustics plays an impotent part to the overall SPL’s if you get too loud in lots of venues the sound becomes a mess.
When a bands backline is above the optimum level of a show you either mix up or get a bad mix on most occasions I have personally gone for the bad mix and let who ever dowered the band out. It saves a lot of earache for me and there is less chance of alienating the audience and bookers.

I hate too loud!!!

I do a fair bit of mixing, and dont like the idea of knackered hearing at all. I am never more than a couple of feet from my ear plugs when I'm out in case stuff gets too loud.

I hate the way a PA sounds when its pushed too hard, that brittle top end from a crappy piezo horn being driven too hard (experienced this last night at a gig - horrid!).

I dont mind volume, but it has to be with absolute clarity, and no pain!

When I had my 40th we brought in well over a 4k rig (not including the monitors) to a small (100 person on that floor) venue, then had it pumping just enough, the sound was sublime, no one complained , because it wasnt in any way too loud (wasn't quiet either), and the resident sound guy came up aftwerwards and said "I couldnt understand why you would want to bring your own PA, until I heard it!". We can run a far larger venue with that rig, and it still sounds great, but when you are pushing it just enough to drive the cabs it is so good!

Thing is venues under engineer their soundsystem (cos its so expensive to over engineer it apparently) then wonder why it sounds awful!

The worst one I recall was when we opened for some space rock trio last winter, it was just inhuman. Two bands on before them were fairly sensible volume, then they came on and it was twice as loud. Nobody could stand to be in the room while they were playing, everybody was hiding round the corner or on the stairs it was ridiculous. Sound guy is just standing there behind his desk there's nothing wrong.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='965750' date='Sep 23 2010, 04:06 PM']....do you have to be a pro, to play with people who understand the dynamics of good music...maybe im missing the point?....[/quote]
No, but these days it mostly seems to be the oldies who really understand about dynamics.

Myself and Mr. Drums(who plays loud anyway) were annoyed on our last practice on Sunday.
We're doing a gig tomorrow,and while one of the guitarists sent a general email about tomorrow,
I asked them about soundf levels:

I told them that myself and Mr. Drums were unhappy about the volume.
I suggested that for the first 2 songs ,Mr. Vocals can walk around and gage the volume and make sure we all sond the same.
It worked in a previous form of the band.
I am awaiting their responses.

IMHO The guitarists are always the ones that like to blare it out.
In my younger days,being happy/keen I used to try and play as loud as mr. guitar.
Of course, the rest of us got too loud and we sounded crap!

The main guitarist in our band has alot of pent up aggression at the mo'.
His wife committed suicide last year,leaving him and his daughter to get on with it.

Also, when playin live, play low to begin with. Otherwise you ain't giggin' in any pub.

I'm not keen on using earplugs . Sometimes I use them , but I think I will use 'em more often.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='965929' date='Sep 23 2010, 06:28 PM']Myself and Mr. Drums(who plays loud anyway) were annoyed on our last practice on Sunday.
We're doing a gig tomorrow,and while one of the guitarists sent a general email about tomorrow,
I asked them about soundf levels:

I told them that myself and Mr. Drums were unhappy about the volume.
I suggested that for the first 2 songs ,Mr. Vocals can walk around and gage the volume and make sure we all sond the same.
It worked in a previous form of the band.
I am awaiting their responses.

IMHO The guitarists are always the ones that like to blare it out.
In my younger days,being happy/keen I used to try and play as loud as mr. guitar.
Of course, the rest of us got too loud and we sounded crap!

The main guitarist in our band has alot of pent up aggression at the mo'.
His wife committed suicide last year,leaving him and his daughter to get on with it.

Also, when playin live, play low to begin with. Otherwise you ain't giggin' in any pub.

I'm not keen on using earplugs . Sometimes I use them , but I think I will use 'em more often.[/quote]

sh*t man, that's awful :)
I would reccomend using earplugs or some sort of hearing protection any time you're in close proximity to an acoustic drumkit, whether it be practice or live. In a rock setting, at least.

Interesting topic, but I think it's important to distinguish between good music and good sound, as I think the concepts are already being used interchangeably, and as I'm sure you'll all agree, they're not one and the same. To my mind, one is entirely subjective and emotional whilst the other can be more rationalised and quantified. Great music can be played with terrible sound and still be great music. Terrible music can be played with great sound and still be terrible music. Whilst we all tend to be a fan of great music played with great sound, I still prefer the terrible sound/great music option to terrible music/great sound :)

C