Why become a member? ×

Quick question about Crafted In Japan serial numbers and spec

Linus27

I've been trying to find out when a Japanese Fender Jazz has been made and what spec it has. The serial number is Q060288 and says Crafted in Japan underneath it. This info is at the bass of the neck. According to the various Fender website, it says (CIJ) Q + 5 DIGITS 2002-2004 or (MIJ) Q + 6 DIGITS 1993-1994. As it says Crafted in Japan on the base of the neck I would assume that this is what it is from 2002 -2004. However, it says with 5 digits and if you include the first 0 of Q060288 then thats 6 digits. So do I count this first digit or is the bass a Made in Japan from 1993-1994?

Also, if the bass is a Crafted in Japan from 2002-2004, will this have the US pickups? I imagine that if its a Made In Japan from 1993-1994 then they won't be US pickups?

Very confused :)

I've had a couple of CIJ Fenders, and both of them had 6 digits after the letter, starting with a zero. So I can only assume the zero doesn't count!

The US pickups seem to be in the reissue models - I had a 62RI fretless jazz that had them, and my 70RI precision has a US pickup. A good place to look for specs is the [url="http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/"]guitar emporium[/url], although he's not trading anymore, there's still a pretty comprehensive lists of models and specs.

Edited by guybrush threepwood

If you want a quick overview of Fender Japan serials this table is quite useful. Amongst other things its more current than the Fender web site. Not reading Japanese, I'm guessing the heading over the CIJ O-T columns says something like 6 digits including the "0". Just be thankful you don't have an MIJ T.

I've seen various explanations for the + 5 digits for CIJ basses and the most convincing is that the Fender website is just plain wrong. I have an MIJ 89/90 Precision, which is I+6 digits, starting with 2 zeros, so the zeros don't count explanation doesn't really hold up, unless there's something special about the zeros on CIJ basses.

The best place I've found for serial # info is the Guitar Dater project, although it does get very confused about CIJs with T serials.

[url="http://www.guitardaterproject.org/fender.aspx"]http://www.guitardaterproject.org/fender.aspx[/url]

Guitar Info (Q060288)
Your guitar was made at the
Fuji-gen Plant (for Fender Japan), Japan
in the Year(s): 2002 - 2004

Edited by spinynorman