Why become a member? ×

Like Birdseye? Like Fender?

The Bass Doc

Here's pics of a 1977 Precision I bought new from Kitchens when they had a shop in New Bridge Street Newcastle (I've still got the receipt - £220.00). Now owned by a friend who kindly let me take these pics. Grrrrr.... should never have sold it!

[attachment=59562:IMGP0093.JPG][attachment=59563:IMGP0086.JPG][attachment=59564:IMGP0087.JPG]

My '81 Precision has a few bits of birdseye in the neck, but nowhere near as much as that.

Does it disprove the myth (at least I think its a myth) that birdseye necks are less stable?

Before this, the nicest 'bonus' figuring on a standard model guitar/bass I've seen is on the neck of my mid-80s casio midi guitar which is much like a MIJ fender strat but has an extraordinary amount & depth of flame in the neck.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='966690' date='Sep 24 2010, 01:53 PM']Does it disprove the myth (at least I think its a myth) that birdseye necks are less stable?[/quote]

Well I also thought that too much birdseye would make for a less stable neck but all I can say is this one's OK - gets played regularly and I am about to re-string it with flats before it goes back to the owner.

I reckon it'll take them as it's already 33 years old and hasn't shown any signs of instability.......................yet. (La Bellas are waiting!).

Have you thought of offering the £220 to get it back? :) I bought my first (Squier actually!) from Windows in Newcastle ten years later. It looks great.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='966673' date='Sep 24 2010, 01:38 PM']Obviously 70s fenders didn't have the most consistent quality control, but i would have said that was one of the "better" ones...[/quote]
Ah, the obligatory knock at 70s Fenders comment that comes as standard with such threads. I have to say the quality control seems just as good / bad these days with Fender. The 70s ones I've played all seem pretty good to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you are wrong but it always has to get pointed out in every 70s Fender thread & I do wonder just how many people have actually played all these iffy 70s Fenders. Food for thought...

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='967063' date='Sep 24 2010, 07:34 PM']Have you thought of offering the £220 to get it back? :) I bought my first (Squier actually!) from Windows in Newcastle ten years later. It looks great.

Ah, the obligatory knock at 70s Fenders comment that comes as standard with such threads. I have to say the quality control seems just as good / bad these days with Fender. The 70s ones I've played all seem pretty good to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you are wrong but it always has to get pointed out in every 70s Fender thread & I do wonder just how many people have actually played all these iffy 70s Fenders. Food for thought...[/quote]

I agree actually. It's probably not much better today. Some people speak of squiers that are better than US spec models. Very rarely though. Honestly i think it's just that people were dissapointed at the fact that they weren't making the type of musical instruments they were in the 60s any more, at least not all the time... I think it is fair to point out that not all 70s fenders are as fine looking as this one though!

It reminds me a bit of the bass neck i got. It wasn't a particularly expensive one, only like £60 or so but the maple that was used to make the back actually had a really nice flame figure to it. It wasn't on the pic on eBay of another neck so i guess it was probably a bit of an anomoly.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='967196' date='Sep 24 2010, 10:18 PM']I think it is fair to point out that not all 70s fenders are as fine looking as this one though![/quote]
Tis a fine looking example :lol: & I'm pleased my comments were taken as a general thought and not a personal dig. I've been lucky with 70s Fenders in that I've only tried stronger examples. Long may it continue :)

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='966709' date='Sep 24 2010, 02:08 PM']Well I also thought that too much birdseye would make for a less stable neck but all I can say is this one's OK - gets played regularly and I am about to re-string it with flats before it goes back to the owner.

I reckon it'll take them as it's already 33 years old and hasn't shown any signs of instability.......................yet. (La Bellas are waiting!).[/quote]

The Jazz that you built for me,with the birdseye neck,has never needed adjustment since new.