Why become a member? ×

MusicMan SUB5 pickup

mcnach

I recently got an active SUB5 bass that came with a ceramic SD Basslines pickup installed (SMB-5D).

It sounds great, it's a very nice bass, but not quite as Stingray-like as I would like.

The obvious thing about the pickup is that it's a ceramic, whilst my Stingray has alnico pickups.

I do have the original pickup that came on the SUB5 (alnico) and I also have an alnico SD Basslines (SMB-5A).

I will probably end up trying all of them, but has anybody got any experience with the SUB5 and various pickups? Essentially I'd like to get closer to the sound of an SR4... so I guess changing the ceramic pickup is going to be the first thing to do.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='970948' date='Sep 28 2010, 05:58 PM']Stick the original back in - job's a good un. :)[/quote]

that's what I'm hoping will be the best.

Even if only because I don't like my pickup covers to have any lettering!

Having fun with this low B... but playing a 5-string is a bit like going back to school! :lol:

The original SUB5 pickup is exactly the same as a stingray 5 pickup, you won't get closer to a stingray sound than that. (though the 'ray 5 did recently change from ceramic to alnico or alnico to ceramic, can't remember which way, either way it's essentially the same pickup)

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='budget bassist' post='975152' date='Oct 2 2010, 04:56 PM']The original SUB5 pickup is exactly the same as a stingray 5 pickup, you won't get closer to a stingray sound than that. (though the 'ray 5 did recently change from ceramic to alnico or alnico to ceramic, can't remember which way, either way it's essentially the same pickup)[/quote]

I thought the SR5 was ceramic, then switched to alnico, whilst the SR4 was always alnico (and sterlings were ceramic).

The original SUB5 pickup is most definitely not ceramic, so alnico.

I was supposed to swap it today but... no time :)
However my love for that bass is growing. Muting that low B string is becoming easier (never been a 5-string fan, but sometimes it's great to have the extra low notes AND the ability to play lower registers in two places on the neck, facilitating certain fingerings).

I think it's the SUB is designed after the Stingray 4 and the SUB 5 is a 5 string version of the Stingray 4 and not a Stingray 5 which is more of a 5 string version of a Sterling, not to be confused by a Sterling by Ernie Ball.

Any ways my SUB 5 stock pickup nails the old Stingray 4 tone to my ears so stock may be the one for you. IIRC the old Stingray 4 was wired parallel and the Sterling was wired in series. I find the parallel wiring is needed to get that very strong MM personality of the old pre EB models.

[quote name='Beedster' post='977832' date='Oct 4 2010, 11:12 PM']My SUB5 want from average Ray-alike to monster Pre-EB real deal with the addition of an East Stingray pre-amp. Highly recommended

C[/quote]

STOP IT ALREADY! :) :)

I have the SUB5, the original pickup on the table, the John East preamp in my drawer... and no real time to install it yet!

This coming Saturday... no gigs, no rehearsals, no work, I told my friends I'll be in Antarctica... it'll get done! :lol: