Why become a member? ×

First Live recording with Roland R-05

WalMan

First couple of gigs in a long time last weekend and a chance to use the newish toy on my lot at last.

The recorder was set to
[list]
[*]record WAV & MP3 at the same time,
[*]levels set rather than automatic
[*]Mic gain Low
[*]Limiter & low cut off
[/list]and left to run on the internal mics.

Subsequently I dropped it into Tracktion to chop up the songs and run it through a general CD Mastering plugin in Acuma Final Mix.

The link that follows is a 192k MP3 exported from the WAV.

[url="http://www.the-alibi.org.uk/Sounds/Fountain_25Sep2010_-_Wayward_Son.mp3"]Wayward Son[/url]

The siting of the recorder was not optimal. It was by the desk. but it's a small gig and whilst it was generally facing the stage pretty much straight on it was close to the top cabs and my MB combo was low down, behind the bass bins and at close to right angles to the mic pattern, so OK for the room but not really for the recorder. For me the bass gets lost on some tracks, but I would say that wouldn't I :)

Otherwise I'm quite pleased with what I'm getting. It could be better but it's a live & lairy gig so what can one expect.

Anyone else use one of these, or similar & have tips for optimising the results, other than sack the bassplayer :lol: ?