Why become a member? ×

changing bass strings

harlowbassplayer

Yep, change strings when you start noticing that yr bass doesn`t sound quite "right" anymore.

To each player, its different. I don`t like the sound of brand new strings. On my gigging/practising bass, I change the strings probably every 4 - 6 months, and make sure its in a big space between gigs, so I can deaden them up a bit, remove some of the zing.

Are you worried incase you take all the strings off & it warps the neck? I know some acoustic guitars are suspect to this.
Taking them all off shouldn't affect your bass' neck, but if you wanna play it safe, change one at a time.
Changing strings should have no effect on the warranty as I'm sure there's players who replace the strings with flats as soon as they get a new bass.

It is impossible to damage the neck just by putting all strings off and putting new ones on.
I rarely put my flats off, but sometimes I clean the fretboard (rarely) or use rounds for recordings, no problems so far and I don't bother changing them one by one.