Why become a member? ×

Mutron III advice needed

Gunsfreddy2003

OK so I have been looking for a vintage Musitronics Mu-Tron III for a while now and I have just seen one for sale but it is from the ARP years which was 1979 to 1980 just before they went bust.

There is talk on the web that these do NOT sound the same as the Musitronics version and I wonder if anyone can confirm this? Would like some advice before I go and waste a load of money!!

Can anyone also advice anyone in the UK who can mod these pedals to make them true bypass as I have also that they suck the life out of your tone when used live!

Anyone help with this?

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='974483' date='Oct 1 2010, 07:19 PM']OK so I have been looking for a vintage Musitronics Mu-Tron III for a while now and I have just seen one for sale but it is from the ARP years which was 1979 to 1980 just before they went bust.

There is talk on the web that these do NOT sound the same as the Musitronics version and I wonder if anyone can confirm this? Would like some advice before I go and waste a load of money!!

Can anyone also advice anyone in the UK who can mod these pedals to make them true bypass as I have also that they suck the life out of your tone when used live![/quote]

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure about the date issue, but for TBP mods and getting it to work on a single 9v power input, send it to Dan at The GigRig. He put 2 virtual batteries in and wired it up so it took just a standard 9v Boss jack so it can be daisy chained! I never bothered with getting mine TB'd I just use a loop!

Cheers

Quick update - decided against the ARP Mu-Tron as over on TB a lot of people were saying that they just don't sound the same or as good as the Musitronics models. In the end that one went for more than an original that was going on Ebay in the USA!!

I opted to buy the Musitronics version and there is a guy called Richard Lingenberg that everyone raves about on TB who used to work at Musitronics or mods the pedal by making it True Bypass and adding an on/off LED light and re-calibrating it too. So I have had it shipped directly to him and he will then send it back to me once the mod is done. It has already has a 9v power supply mod done to it already so that side is taken care of.

Just hope that it is everything that it has been built up to be here and on TB!! Mind you the new Sounblox Bass Envelope Filter sounds pretty tasty!

[quote name='Higgie' post='988334' date='Oct 14 2010, 07:29 PM']Not sure about the date issue, but for TBP mods and getting it to work on a single 9v power input, send it to Dan at The GigRig. He put 2 virtual batteries in and wired it up so it took just a standard 9v Boss jack so it can be daisy chained! I never bothered with getting mine TB'd I just use a loop!

Cheers[/quote]