Why become a member? ×

Jap Crap ? question.

Slipperydick

Heres some pics of a 'work in progress' I been putting together on and off for ages. all with bits from ebay.

The necks Mighty Mite, which had the fender decal on when it came. the Picups are 10k Kent Armstrongs.

Just out of interest, wondering if anyone recognises the Body, the extra screw in the centre of the scratch plate looks original, and the truss rod slot might help.Its very heavy, even heavier I think than my old Eros Jazz, and far far heavier than my Mex Precision.

The bridge is unusual, looks like its been made of allthread, but I have a Fender one to fit when I get round to it. The Machine heads are strange as well, but it stays in tune so they can stay.

So far so good, not much over seventy quid all in up to now. And it plays really well. As you can see Luthier I aint, but I'm enjoying myself.

[attachment=60606:Image001..jpg]

[attachment=60605:Image000..jpg]

[attachment=60607:Image002..jpg]

Edited by Slipperydick

[quote name='orangepeelneil' post='978095' date='Oct 5 2010, 11:05 AM']Hi there,

Nice bass

The bridge is a classic fender type (or copy of) , found on some '57/'62 models, I also have a similar one on my P-bass

[url="http://angela.com/vintagebassbridge.aspx"]http://angela.com/vintagebassbridge.aspx[/url]

Cheers Neil[/quote]

Thanks for that, thought I'd seen one before. Same with the Machines, but couldnt find a picture of one like it.

[quote name='orangepeelneil' post='979113' date='Oct 6 2010, 09:07 AM'][size=2]
Hi

There are a few JapCrap resident experts on the site, you may want to move the thread to the general bass discussion- for more response-It's a bit buried here.

Cheers Neil [/size][/quote]

Yeah, was a bit dissapointed but just assumed either nobody knows, or nobodys interested. I'd move it if I could work out how. bit new to this.

There's not much to identify about the bass, unfortunately - there were many generic Precision copies made in Japan & Korea, and without the original neck and brand name it's really anyone's guess what this was originally.

The body looks like typical budget/mid-range construction, The way it's sprayed, with big black oversprays on the contours, shows that it's made from either plywood or veneered butcher-block, and finished like this to disguise the laminations. If it's particularly heavy, then it's most likely ply. It looks like somebody's tried to "relic" the body - the thick poly finish on this sort of bass isn't likely to wear like that naturally.

The square notch in the scratchplate suggests the original neck had a wheel-type truss adjuster (as used on Music Man basses these days) and I have seen this type on Hondo Precision copies, which were Korean in origin. However the same system's used on a lot of MIJ Strat copies so it probably appears on some Jap Ps too.

The central scratchplate screw is a bit of a mystery - I don't remember ever noticing this on a 70s era copy before. The bridge isn't original to this bass, and unfortunately there's not a whole lot to be gleaned from the pickup or scratchplate.

As I've said before, the big problem with identifying 70s Jap & Korean copies is that they all have this odd tendency to look the same...

Jon.

The bridge was on the body when I got it, so was the'wear' I had to take bout a 1/4" out of the neck pocket to fit the neck thats on it now, it aint ply, its a sort of dark orange colour timber with a tight grain. I have the original neck, wasnt attached when I got it, its horriible fat and chunky, no brand name, no nail holes, nothing that would help identify it unfortunately. And as I already had the Mighty Mite neck lying around, thats what went on it. I can remember a lot of Jazz and Precision copies from the 70s, but none with the slot. Still got an old Eros, bought new in 73 for £69, still plays well and sounds good. It was a close thing, but I hadnt been playing long and couldnt quite afford the white fender precision in the same shop (£125) Wonder why you only used to see Jazz copies, precision copies were pretty rare back then, was it a copyright issue ? Same reason you saw loads of Tele copies, but not Strat copies ?

I think some of the 70s copies were/are well under rated, especially some of the Antoria stuff, but there was always the snob apeal with Fenders.

Thanks for looking anyway.