Why become a member? ×

Recommend me some 2nd hand PA gear!

XPAULUSX

Hey!

I'm just starting up with another pub band and we are in need of a PA/FOH system.

I've been looking on here at some of the second hand stuff but aint really got a clue when it comes to stuff like this.

I've found a powered mixer in the "FS:Other Musically Related Stuff" forum called a Yorkville MP8DX for sale for just £100 which is said to be 400watts at 4 ohms. I found this in this thread:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=57559&hl=YORKVILLE"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;hl=YORKVILLE[/url]

I have also been looking for tops and bass bins and came accross this thread:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=93317&hl=wharfedale"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...p;hl=wharfedale[/url]

I guess my question is really would these pair up well together? i think the system impedance for the Wharfdale tops and bins may be 8ohms meaning that the output from the mixer may be considerably reduced however, im not sure, hence why i'm asking!

Any help or advice would be appreciated, if there are any other bargains to be had on here that may better suit my needs, dont hesitate to recommend them to me, i think i'm lookng at trying to keep the cost below £500 also, which is why i came looking for second hand stuff.

We will mainly be playing pubs, doing covers of thin lizzy, zeppelin and other classic rock tunes, so you get the idea about the type of system we're probably going to need.

Edited by XPAULUSX

[quote name='XPAULUSX' post='979472' date='Oct 6 2010, 03:21 PM']I guess my question is really would these pair up well together? i think the system impedance for the Wharfdale tops and bins may be 8ohms meaning that the output from the mixer may be considerably reduced however, im not sure, hence why i'm asking![/quote]

Hmmm...looking at it the Yorkville's got two separate power amps, I would imagine one for the front-of-house sound and one for the monitors/sub (possibly switchable); running the two Wharfedale 'tops' (the SVP15s) from the front-of house amp would give you a four ohm load, hence each speaker getting 200W, which would be okay.

However, putting only 200W from the secondary amp into the two subwoofers is hardly worth it, especially not if you're only putting vocals through the system (which is about all you'd want to with 400W); I'd say use the second amp for a vocal monitor and keep the subs back until you have a setup that'll require them.

[quote name='Ian Savage' post='979609' date='Oct 6 2010, 04:59 PM']Hmmm...looking at it the Yorkville's got two separate power amps, I would imagine one for the front-of-house sound and one for the monitors/sub (possibly switchable); running the two Wharfedale 'tops' (the SVP15s) from the front-of house amp would give you a four ohm load, hence each speaker getting 200W, which would be okay.

However, putting only 200W from the secondary amp into the two subwoofers is hardly worth it, especially not if you're only putting vocals through the system (which is about all you'd want to with 400W); I'd say use the second amp for a vocal monitor and keep the subs back until you have a setup that'll require them.[/quote]

Cheers for the info man, turns out the yorkville head has sold anyway.

Would it be possible to buy a mixer and a power amp seperately and hook them up together?

Also, can you explain how impedance works with PA speakers, i know my stuff when it comes to bass cabs and the like, but when running two tops and two bass bins im not sure how to work it all out!

What's going to be the most cost effective way of getting a simple PA system that will be suitable for pub gigs that, if needs be, can handle drums and bass also?

Or would it be worthwhile just leaving the PA solely for vocals at this point?

any bargains to be had in the FS section?

Thanks.

The Wharfedales are fantastic value, not their best but at that price they will get you through. If I could get to W.Yorks they would be sold.

The peavey's are OK too. they don't give the best vocal sound with their cheap horns but you'll need to spend more on something like the Mackies or Yamaha's etc to get better.

Impedance works the same way for PA as it does for any other speakers and amps. It is fairly normal to use a slightly overpowered amp however as you never should run a PA amp into distortion, so a 500W/channel amp into 350W speakers wouldn't be considered unreasonable as long as you don't crank everything up to flat out.

[quote name='Phil Starr' post='981327' date='Oct 8 2010, 10:27 AM']The Wharfedales are fantastic value, not their best but at that price they will get you through. If I could get to W.Yorks they would be sold.

The peavey's are OK too. they don't give the best vocal sound with their cheap horns but you'll need to spend more on something like the Mackies or Yamaha's etc to get better.

Impedance works the same way for PA as it does for any other speakers and amps. It is fairly normal to use a slightly overpowered amp however as you never should run a PA amp into distortion, so a 500W/channel amp into 350W speakers wouldn't be considered unreasonable as long as you don't crank everything up to flat out.[/quote]

But theres four speakers right? Two satellite and two bins, how does the impedance work out for the whole system?

Sorry i'm just new at this :0)

I have a pair of Peavey Hisys 1's (12" Black widow speakers plus horn), an Alto Mac 3.2 poweramp and a Sountracs Topaz 14:4:2 desk. Could probably throw in a Korg reverb unit and a rack case to hold it in as well. Excellent vocal PA.

Looking for £350 for everything. Worth a wee drive north....

cheers

D.

[quote name='deksawyer' post='981364' date='Oct 8 2010, 10:51 AM']I have a pair of Peavey Hisys 1's (12" Black widow speakers plus horn), an Alto Mac 3.2 poweramp and a Sountracs Topaz 14:4:2 desk. Could probably throw in a Korg reverb unit and a rack case to hold it in as well. Excellent vocal PA.

Looking for £350 for everything. Worth a wee drive north....

cheers

D.[/quote]

Got any pics/specs mate?

[quote name='XPAULUSX' post='981350' date='Oct 8 2010, 10:44 AM']But theres four speakers right? Two satellite and two bins, how does the impedance work out for the whole system?

Sorry i'm just new at this :0)[/quote]
Don't worry about it. The bass bins have a crossover in them so the sound is divided between the two speakers and the Impedance the amp sees is that of the bass bins, 4 ohms in the case of the Peaveys, 8 ohms if you use the tops on their own.

The crossover splits the power at a particular frequency, above this everything goes to the tops below everything to the subs and at the crossover frequency half goes to each. The power handling is the sum of both (more or less)

[quote name='XPAULUSX' post='981376' date='Oct 8 2010, 10:58 AM']Got any pics/specs mate?

Got pics of everything but the speakers as they're at the drummers house and he's on holiday until later this weekend.

Speakers are 350w each, amp, I think is 400w a side and the desk is an older classic, and I think built here in Scotland.

Everything works well and is, as I said before, and excellent vocal pa. Add a powered sub and you can start sticking kick drum and bass through it no problem. It did us proud when we used it...

I'll get pics to you as soon as I can.

Cheers

D.

[quote name='deksawyer' post='982173' date='Oct 8 2010, 11:55 PM']Got pics of everything but the speakers as they're at the drummers house and he's on holiday until later this weekend.

Speakers are 350w each, amp, I think is 400w a side and the desk is an older classic, and I think built here in Scotland.

Everything works well and is, as I said before, and excellent vocal pa. Add a powered sub and you can start sticking kick drum and bass through it no problem. It did us proud when we used it...

I'll get pics to you as soon as I can.

Cheers

D.[/quote]

Excellent, thanks very much :)

Hoe many channels are on the mixer?

Edited by XPAULUSX