Why become a member? ×

Potential FS - Hofner Senator (1960?)

Crafty-Deano

Hi all,

This is a bass guitar that is currently undergoing a repair to a broken headstock that was cracked. Also it's getting a good clean and full setup.

The only photo I have is of the body, and I will get more when it's out of guitar hospital.

I believe it was made in 1960 due to the serial number, I dated it back in April through the serial number, although I can't double check (yet) as it's in for repair.

It was a on eBay for £150, some guy inherited it from a parents house clearance and looks like it hasn't been used in ages. He didn't know much about it, just listed it as broken old guitar.

As far as I can tell electrics are fine and working, but will give a full test when I get it back.

Any interest, or anyone know of the approx value?

Edited by Crafty-Deano

[quote name='sub-a-dub' post='980720' date='Oct 7 2010, 04:55 PM']I'ld love that - a mate of mine (a luthier and musician) has refurbished a couple of these (may not be the exact model though: I'll check...) and I played one a week ago at a gig. Lovely tone and a joy to play/handle.
Regards,
Seán[/quote]

Cool, ill let you know when its done and get a few decent pictures uploaded. any idea on the value of it? i have no idea what kind of price range to look for.

The pickup dates that bass to late-'62 through to about '68. In 1960 it would have been either the last batch of bakelite jobbies or an early "toaster" pickup. It's also worth noting that the Hofner 500/3 wasn't re-named the 'Senator' until Selmer noticed the success of The Beatles, again in late-'62 / early-'63.

That bridge is not the original, by the way.

Difficult to comment further on the basis of one very poor photo, especially as that doesn't show either the broken headstock or the most common problem area on vintage hollow-body Hofners, the neck joint.

I have to tell you that it ain't gonna make you rich. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='981082' date='Oct 7 2010, 11:35 PM']The pickup dates that bass to late-'62 through to about '68. In 1960 it would have been either the last batch of bakelite jobbies or an early "toaster" pickup. It's also worth noting that the Hofner 500/3 wasn't re-named the 'Senator' until Selmer noticed the success of The Beatles, again in late-'62 / early-'63.

That bridge is not the original, by the way.

Difficult to comment further on the basis of one very poor photo, especially as that doesn't show either the broken headstock or the most common problem area on vintage hollow-body Hofners, the neck joint.

I have to tell you that it ain't gonna make you rich. :)[/quote]

Cheers for the info, when I get it back I'll take some proper photos and get the serial number. I didn't think it would be worth that much really, but you never know :lol:

The headstock design will give a clue. If it's a treble Clef it's 1963 or earlier, though there weren't many earlier than '63. If it's a 'dagger' design it's 1964.

Immaculate un-modified versions seem to go through the bay for 3 hundred tops, so I'd agree with Jack's assessment.