Why become a member? ×

Relative value of non-US Fenders

spinynorman

Whenever I look at for sale ads for non-US Fender basses, I'm comparing the price to what I paid for my 89 MIJ standard P. And generally that means I think whatever I'm looking at is over priced. So either my sense of relative values is way out of whack, or I got more of a bargain than I thought.

So, here's the question. If you saw an MIJ standard (not 60s/70s reissue) P and and MIM standard P in similar used condition in a sale or auction, which would you expect to fetch more? And just to make it more interesting, add in non-JV MIJ Squiers, where do they sit in the hierarchy?

Hi there,

I've got US, Mex & Jap fenders.

Have to say I never buy without trying / playing the guitar so I'm not going to end up with a dud . . . . whatever its origin of manufacture !

My thoughts are, that when you find a nice instrument that you really like, then its hard to put them in any meaningful pecking order, or value order, so to speak ?

I guess if I was forced to make a choice between my bass's, then I'd keep the bass I gig the most - which is my 80's Jap Jazz Bass Special . . . which as I'm sure you'll know is a sort of PBass with a Jazz neck - fabulous guitar. But, that one didn't cost as much as my Mex Active PBass Special which is a totally different sounding guitar and also great to play.

So to answer your question I'd probably bid higher on a Jap guitar I liked as I find them to be exceptionally well crafted and I love the particular neck profile of the 80's ones I've got . . which I find I can play for ages without getting any playing discomfort problems.

So my order would probobly be:-

Jap Fender . . then probably Mex Fender . . then . . the Squier . . . . . but they are all great guitars ! . . . and I've always wanted a nice JV Squier Bass . . . . Ive got a JV Tele . . and the bass is high up on my wants list . . . but the price these days for a good one ! ! ! . . . that on its own answers your question about Jap quality !

Cheers

:)

I have a jap p bass which I paid £450 this year, it was exactly what i was after, 62RI 3TS with flats on, set up well and used so I wouldn't worry about using it, and priced in line with others Id seen go

I also have a MIM 2009 P bass, which I guess is worth around £300 2nd hand (think I saw one go for £325 on this forum), best price I saw on these new

Hope that helps

as the pound has got weaker the price of jap fender has gone up, this has reflected the relative prices.

I would say that the current 'standard' jap fender and the mex standard fender i would go for the mexican- purely because the 'standard' CIJ jazz has a basswood body over the MiM's alder.
I would save up and get a vintage 'us' model reissue.

MIJ fender i've no idea, some ive played have been great.

as for JV squier.... i prefer my '57ri to the american vintage '57ri.... :)