Why become a member? ×

What a lovely Lakland!

CHRISDABASS

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='981789' date='Oct 8 2010, 05:17 PM']+1

The angle the photograph was taken at is off or the B & E strings are out of kilter![/quote]

Maybe im missing something but i dont think we are talking about the string just being out, i thought we were discussing the fact that its out by different amounts over each pup.
If the pups are lined up precisely this wont happen but as shown on the Teal one, both are lined up at the bottom rather than centrally.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='chris_b' post='982197' date='Oct 9 2010, 12:20 AM']Why should that be?
If the new management make good basses then there is no problem. Leo Fender sold up so did Everett Hull and their companies carried on dominating their respective market places.[/quote]

Maybe I read too much into it. I though Dan was very proud of his company and the name Lakland and so it was just a surprise that he's sold it on. I never got the impression they were struggling finacially but maybe he sold it to make it survive. Maybe the $$ offer was just to big to refuse. Everyone has a price as they say.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='984705' date='Oct 11 2010, 06:46 PM'][url="http://www.laklandowners.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=59&func=view&catid=3&id=18751"]http://www.laklandowners.com/joomla/index....=3&id=18751[/url][/quote]

All seems really reasonable tbh. Sensible discussion and all that there :)

[quote name='Linus27' post='984706' date='Oct 11 2010, 06:47 PM']....I never got the impression they were struggling finacially but maybe he sold it to make it survive....[/quote]
The article has gone from Lakland's website, but it seems they were regularly bailed out by Dan Lakins dad.

[quote name='chris_b' post='984753' date='Oct 11 2010, 07:24 PM']The article has gone from Lakland's website, but it seems they were regularly bailed out by Dan Lakins dad.[/quote]

Wow, never knew that. A real shame to be honest. I wonder if an original Lakland is worth holding on to or not.

It does seem like they missed the point a little. A Lakland in the US is much 'better value' when you compare them to the prices here. The odd QC slip is more acceptable, but then again, even the new Squire CV basses are usually spot on now!

I did mention the issue to a few guys on talkbass and the majority told me it wasnt an issue, which it was.

John and Dan have both been very friendly when I have explained issues, and no doubt are looking into it. The thing is, I would own 2-3 Laklands by now if I didnt have so many problems trying to buy one!

[quote name='chris_b' post='984782' date='Oct 11 2010, 07:43 PM']How do you mean?[/quote]
First reply thought it was about pickup height, which it wasn't.

Second reply took three paragraphs to say 'try before you buy' and then seemed to think the problem was OK because Jamerson's bass was a wreck.

Third reply got the point of what was being said but maintained it was merely cosmetic otherwise Lakland wouldn't allow it.

Fourth reply said +1.

Fifth was me.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='984804' date='Oct 11 2010, 07:53 PM']First reply thought it was about pickup height, which it wasn't.

Second reply took three paragraphs to say 'try before you buy' and then seemed to think the problem was OK because Jamerson's bass was a wreck.

Third reply got the point of what was being said but maintained it was merely cosmetic otherwise Lakland wouldn't allow it.

Fourth reply said +1.

Fifth was me.[/quote]

It's a very American board

[quote name='chris_b' post='984753' date='Oct 11 2010, 07:24 PM']The article has gone from Lakland's website, but it seems they were regularly bailed out by Dan Lakins dad.[/quote]
I don't think this is the article you meant but it is the press release announcing the Hanson takover:

[quote]PRESS RELEASE

April 30, 2010 CHICAGO, IL-USA. Pickup and electric guitar manufacturer Hanson Musical Instruments,LTD, announces that a group, led by itself, has purchased the globally respected bass guitar brand Lakland Basses of Chicago. Former Lakland executive John Pirruccello has been named President of the newly formed Lakland Guitars, LLC, and will be responsible for managing the company's daily operations and future development effective immediately. John assumes these duties in addition to his position as head of the Hanson Musical Instruments guitar division.

Pirruccello's background includes 11 years at Lakland as Global Sales Director as well as the company's Chief Operations Officer. He contributed greatly to the development of current Lakland products, including the "Skyline Series" line of bass guitars; and was responsible for expanding Lakland's dealer and distribution network around the world. “JP” is also a prominent Chicago musician that has performed, recorded and or collaborated with the likes of Keith Richards, Staind, Alejandro Escovedo, Wilco, and others. John will oversee the seamless transition at Lakland's present facilities in Chicago. Lakland Guitars, LLC is retaining current luthiers and support staff.

Hanson Musical Instruments wants to thank Lakland founder Dan Lakin for his vision and stewardship of the Lakland brand, which he founded in 1994 with Hugh McFarland.

Hanson Musical Instruments has been Lakland's primary supplier of bass pickups and preamp products since 2005. The principals of Hanson Musical Instruments, LTD were previously shareholders of Lakland from 2000 until 2009.

Lakland is a manufacturer of high quality bass guitars and accessories. Website: www.lakland.com Hanson Musical Instruments is a manufacturer of professional electric guitars and of electric guitar and bass pickups and electronics.[/quote]

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='982088' date='Oct 8 2010, 10:13 PM']If I've got the story correct, Lakland is now owned by John Pirruccello (who was already a working for Lakland for many years and knows Dan Lakin from childhood) and Bo Pirruccello (who is John's brother and is boss of Hanson who make pickups for Lakland).

Rumour has it that Dan is going to be working for Harmony Guitars.[/quote]
For those who are interested:

The story of John and Bo Pirruccello taking over at Lakland is in [url="http://www.laklandowners.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=59&func=view&catid=19&id=13047"]this thread at the LOG[/url].

I got the line about Dan Lakin going to work for Harmony from [url="http://www.laklandowners.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=59&func=view&id=17012&catid=25#17012"]this thread at the LOG[/url].