Why become a member? ×

Markbass NY 122

Phil-osopher10

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='992996' date='Oct 19 2010, 12:04 AM']The man hours are the issue! There's a killer build thread on talkbass relating to a composite cab, foamcore and fibreglass I think. Weighs next to nothing, stiffer than a conventional build cab and raw materials cost pretty similar. But the labour is the deal-breaker for making those things commercially, unfortunately, or we'd have cabs that you could carry with one finger.[/quote]

Haven't seen it, but a crucial factor is how the thing stacks up. They are all boxes with a bias to a degree or another, there is no new science here as such but if they look like dogs and some do, then they will not last past the latest fad stage.

Makers can spout all they like about this and that but when the presentation is poor..which can be subjective, admitedly..they aren't going to be taken that seriously, IMV.
And if you are going to run a website, then get that right as well. If someone misses the detail in the cab and compounds that with an average looking website, I'd be thinking what other corners have been cut or even missed.

You can apply the webite analogy to bands as well...but it is more understanable in a 'business' that may make so little money for them.

[quote name='JTUK' post='994536' date='Oct 20 2010, 10:40 AM']Haven't seen it, but a crucial factor is how the thing stacks up. They are all boxes with a bias to a degree or another, there is no new science here as such but if they look like dogs and some do, then they will not last past the latest fad stage.

Makers can spout all they like about this and that but when the presentation is poor..which can be subjective, admitedly..they aren't going to be taken that seriously, IMV.
And if you are going to run a website, then get that right as well. If someone misses the detail in the cab and compounds that with an average looking website, I'd be thinking what other corners have been cut or even missed.

You can apply the webite analogy to bands as well...but it is more understanable in a 'business' that may make so little money for them.[/quote]

Interesting thoughts. Are you thinking about any website in particular?

Frank.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='994727' date='Oct 20 2010, 01:05 PM']One thing im confused about is the cab experts saying 'dont mix drivers' yet the BF site says you can mix the 12 with the 15....who is right?![/quote]

You can mix drivers fine if you design the cabs with that in mind (no doubt the BF cabs are), it's mixing random cabs that can lead to problems. You need to design them with a compatible group delay or you'll get phase issues in the lower registers which will screw up the combined frequency response. You can get just as much a problem if you use two cabs built around the same driver but with different port tuning. Which means, incidentally, that I'd be rather cautious mixing all these different 12" Markbass cabs together!

Having said all that I've heard plenty of great-sounding rigs where the speakers are highly unlikely to have been matched in this way...as we keep coming back to, if it sounds good it is good!

[quote name='machinehead' post='994690' date='Oct 20 2010, 12:39 PM']Interesting thoughts. Are you thinking about any website in particular?

Frank.[/quote]

Poor websites in general are a complete no-no and a pet hate for me.. there is no reason for it for a professional outlook (IMV) and I think this attention or lack of it speaks volumes where ever it occurs.

FWIW, I don't think any band should dare have a myspace page..but can kind of understand that that is better than nothing.
No, I am not a website designer :) :lol: