Why become a member? ×

YES

Hamster

Memory is a terrible thing. I'd convinced myself I saw the original lineup with Peter Banks at Bristol Uni union in 1970, but he left in April and I wasn't there then. Definitely saw them at the Colston Hall post Steve Howe, pre Wakeman, which was probably early 1971. The Yes Album is the only Yes album for me.

Saw them with Billy Sherwood and Igor Khoroshev at Birmingham Symphony Hall, must have been around 1998/9. That was extraordinary because the acoustics in that place are something you don't usually experience with a rock band. Bit odd having a second guitarist. Howe, with his zimmer frame with 15 guitars strapped to it, let Sherwood have one solo in the whole set. Generous.

Also saw the orchestral tour in 2001 at the NIA. Just found online review of that with people online complaining about not getting Gates of Delirium. They got Starship Trooper and I've Seen All Good People, don't know what they're moaning about. :)

[quote name='Davo-London' post='992887' date='Oct 18 2010, 10:41 PM']Relayer was the last Yes album that counts in my opinion.[/quote]

No fair!! I loved both Going for the One and Tormato and even liked Drama a lot more than I expected to when I heard the 'Buggles' news but, I agree, 90125 was a bit too mainstream for my tastes.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='992817' date='Oct 18 2010, 09:48 PM']Yesterdays. Or as we called it, "That pissing kid".

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yesterdays_(Yes_album)"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yesterdays_(Yes_album)[/url][/quote]

America was also released as a single (must have been an edited version) as I distinctly recall it being on the juke box in the student union bar that was my 'second home' from 1982-83.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='993754' date='Oct 19 2010, 04:48 PM']Also saw the orchestral tour in 2001 at the NIA. Just found online review of that with people online complaining about not getting Gates of Delirium.[/quote]
They did The Gates of Delirium when they played Cardiff on that tour. It was awesome.

[quote name='iconic' post='994403' date='Oct 20 2010, 08:10 AM']Rick Wakeman...didn't he play keyboards on Cat Stevens Morning Has Broken?[/quote]
Yes he did. He also played Mellotron on Bowies "Space Oddity" & loads of other stuff. He apparently took quite a drop in pay when he joined Yes because he was earning so much as a session musician.

Never a fan of prog either, though Mr Wakeman is a witty bloke and seems a decent type of fellow. I may take a stroll to the bottom of my own road tonite and see if I can spot anyone worth watching.

I remember clearly the TV advert for the 'Going for the one' album. (a rare thing in those days unless your album was on K-Tel) :) Very impresive. Almost went out and bought the album just to see what all the fuss was about.

"Never a fan of prog either, though Mr Wakeman is a witty bloke and seems a decent type of fellow. I may take a stroll to the bottom of my own road tonite and see if I can spot anyone worth watching."

.....I think Mr Wakeman is a Diss resident...or so the guy tells me in my chippy...he likes Rock Salmon!

My first experience of Yes was the line-up before Steve Howe - they were trying to fix a Telecaster on the counter at Rose-Morris while I was trying to buy strings...
THEN...heard and bought the Yes Album, then saw them at the Dagenham Roundhouse, 69/70 time. Brilliant.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='995378' date='Oct 20 2010, 10:10 PM']

Magic, brilliance, virtuosity, studio technology, SONGS.
Harmonies, arrangments, I waffle.[/quote]

To paraphrase Jaco "It ain't waffling if you can back it up", and you did that nicely with Startship Trooper. My all time fav Yes track, my all time Desert Island band :)

[quote name='bh2' post='994415' date='Oct 20 2010, 08:37 AM']Absolutely loved the 'Yes Album' and then Wakeman arrived and it all got a bit messy.

Always been a Bruford fan since though.[/quote]

That's how I feel.

One clear memory from 1971 in Bristol is Bruford playing his solo on the stage. Literally, off the drum stool, floorboards, monitors, anything that stayed still long enough he hit.

My personal fave from that album has always been Yours Is No Disgrace. It's like a one-stop bass tutorial, all sorts of aspects crafted and seamlessly put together with none sounding out of place for wherever the song is at that particular place. Lovely walking lines for a start...

[quote name='iconic' post='994403' date='Oct 20 2010, 08:10 AM']Rick Wakeman...didn't he play keyboards on Cat Stevens Morning Has Broken?[/quote]

[quote name='RhysP' post='994841' date='Oct 20 2010, 02:17 PM']Yes he did. He also played Mellotron on Bowies "Space Oddity" & loads of other stuff. He apparently took quite a drop in pay when he joined Yes because he was earning so much as a session musician.[/quote]

[quote name='KevB' post='994910' date='Oct 20 2010, 03:06 PM']Wakeman was indeed an in-demand arranger and performer for sessions prior to his first stint in Yes. Think he's playing on the odd track or two on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath as well.[/quote]
Also not forgetting Rick W was also a member of The Strawbs in their earlier days (c.1970-71) and played on three of their albums (Dragonfly, Just A Collection Of Antiques And Curios and From The Witchwood).

yes and Bowie.s Space Oddity I think.

Oops just seen above post. ed

Edited by lonestar

Great to see so much love for YES here. I saw them on my 16th birthday, my 40th birthday and another 4 times since then.

I bought a Kasuga copy in 76, I learnt most of the lines. The band I was in was going to rule the world, with the material we wrote.

How the **** did I end up selling Private Medical Insurance :)

Thank God for CD's, vids, Youtube and Basschat.

Oh well, time to load the van for tonight's bloodshed on the dancefloor.

Edited by karlfer

Just to add to the Wakemanny stuff, he also played keyboards on Bowie's "Life on Mars".

And I once supported the Strawbs, and got the chance to tell Dave Cousins he was a major songwriting inspiration to me. Just hope he didn't think my songs were crap... :)

• 1 month later...

My first experiance of YES was in 1970, was told to go and see them by a music shop owner in Leyton, East London. Saw them at Barking Tech, Tony Kaye on keys. The Yes album had just been released and we rushed out to by it the next day. Could not believe a band could sound so good live !
Been hooked ever since. Probably seen them in excess of 50 times in the last 40 yrs !
Always dreamed of owning a Rickie, and got my first in 1972, a 1963 dot model, twin pick up Mono 4000. I so wish I kept it !! now have a 78.

Have got my tickets for them in 2011, although I miss Jon & Rick, saw them a few weeks back in Southend.
Rick made a comment that went over Jon's head, then Jon relised what Rick had said and cracked up mid song and had to stop to compose himself... a great night

Chris is & will always be my hero, dispite the fact they he kicked Jon out of the band :)

They've announced UK dates for end of next year. Not sure if I'll go or not, guess it depends on how the new album shapes up. Saw them with the new singer and he does sound uncannily like Anderson did back in the 70's but it did overrall look a bit like a tribute act at times.