Why become a member? ×

Neck-through 5-string P or J basses?

JimBobTTD

I am playing with this idea, not 100% serious yet.

There is talk of starting a kind of blues bar-band (not the [i]totally [/i]unoriginal kind, but pretty much, yes) and am toying with the idea of a totally different sound for me. I am even considering a non-Ibanez bass!

I have a fretless conversion in the pipeline and I am really enjoying the sound and feel, so I may wish to go fretless.

Now, as looks are important in some circles, and the sound certainly is, I am looking for a P or J type 5 string passive bass, but [b]it has to be neck-through[/b]. I prefer the feel of a neck through to a bolt-on in a big way.

Are there any about, or would I need to make one or have one made for me? Like I said, I'm not all-too-serious, so any price is fine.

Thanks!

His name keeps cropping up, but I had Jon Shuker make me a set-neck Jazz bass. Has the look & feel of a thru-neck and I bet you wouldn't notice the difference. Amazing quality, and up there with Sei at less money I'd guess. I've also had a couple of Sei Jazz thru-necks built and they are amazing basses too. Or there the GB Spitfire which Bernie would make with a thru-neck like the Rumour-series he builds. I'm actually toying with this for my next bass build.

Can you tell I like traditional style basses with thru-necks too.

Edited by largo

The Peaveys look like what I would normally go for, but they don't look like a Fender.

Largo - any pictures of these thru-neck Jazz basses? They sound interesting and are what I have in mind - look like a Fender, but have the appointments I like. If money were no object, I'd have a neck-through Precision with 24 frets, ebony 'board, in white with a red tortoise scratchplate. Lush.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, school holiday time and all that.
I'm not sure if I have any pics of my Shuker Jazz at the moment, but I did find this link to my old Sei Jazz basses. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1474&hl=sei+jazz"]Click here[/url]

My Shuker is more classic Jazz looking, with block inlays, pickguard etc.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' post='983199' date='Oct 10 2010, 11:34 AM']....There is talk of starting a kind of blues bar-band.... I prefer the feel of a neck through to a bolt-on in a big way....[/quote]
How does a "through" neck feel different to a "bolt on" neck? And does that make a difference when you're pounding away on a shuffle below the 5th fret!

Thanks for the pics, Largo. Very nice indeed!

[quote name='chris_b' post='999410' date='Oct 24 2010, 10:29 PM']How does a "through" neck feel different to a "bolt on" neck? And does that make a difference when you're pounding away on a shuffle below the 5th fret![/quote]

It's all smoke and mirrors and snake oil and Emperor's new clothes and all that, but I feel more resonance in a neck-through which gives me the overall feel of a more organic instrument. It makes a huge difference wherever I am playing on the neck as I feel it more; I feel the instrument more. It probably wouldn't make the band sound different if I had a standard Fender, though!