Why become a member? ×

Recording bass into PC with Windows 7 64-bit

chuck_stones

Hi guys,

I'm starting to get into the idea of recording some of my playing and sharing it on youtube and so on, but I'm a complete novice when it comes to recording so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Here's what I've got:
Gallien-Krueger 400RB-IV with DI out.
PC running windows 7 64-bit

If I'd like to record into my PC, what free software is there available which will work with Win7 64-bit? I've tried a few programs but they didn't seem to want to install as they weren't compatible with the OS.

Also, can it be as simple as running a DI cable from my amp, into the mic socket of my PC, or do I need some additional hardware in order to successfully record?

Any advice/suggestions warmly welcomed!

Thanks in advance,

Oli

I've managed to get a few recording programs working on here with windows XP 64 bit. What type of windows 7 is it? I think the professional/ultimate versions come with an XP emulator to run older programs on but you also might be able to download one for the home editions as well. This is my understanding of it anyway.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='986771' date='Oct 13 2010, 11:38 AM']I've managed to get a few recording programs working on here with windows XP 64 bit. What type of windows 7 is it? I think the professional/ultimate versions come with an XP emulator to run older programs on but you also might be able to download one for the home editions as well. This is my understanding of it anyway.[/quote]

I think all versions of Windows 7 come with a Compatability Mode what allows pretty much any 32 bit, XP program to run. I've certainly never found a program that ran on XP that won't run on 7 (drivers are a different matter of course).

Edited by lanark