Why become a member? ×

Leeds College of music

4 candles

Howdy

This last month, ive become aquainted with a very busy and well established, corporate,wedding Northern based function band!

The band leader plays the kit, he is nice and solid and got some chops. THe vocalists are great (male and female) but he uses a lot of deps (me now included) The band leader produces full charts for every member of the band(its that organised)

But..... The last 3 gigs I have done have contained various guitar/keys players (graduates from leeds uni )

Sorry to say, they are all f***ing awfull!!!

some punk keys waller from leeds uni, 4 years into his degree gets lost soloing over "mustang sally" !!!!

guitar player "4 years at leeds" has the contempt to not even listen to "celebration by cool and the gang", shows up and cant read the charts, or even remotely play the tune. w***er

Leeds coolege of music

You are a f***ing discrace, your graduates are a discrace

anyone who has a degee from leeds, please burn it!!!

Any aspiring musicians out there, Dont go to leeds. Get a well paid job, some occasional lessons from a good guy on basschat, learn loads of tunes, and keep busy

Regards

Mark

Ha ha - our keys player is a Leeds graduate!!

[quote name='4 candles' post='988463' date='Oct 14 2010, 09:42 PM']Howdy

This last month, ive become aquainted with a very busy and well established, corporate,wedding Northern based function band!

The band leader plays the kit, he is nice and solid and got some chops. THe vocalists are great (male and female) but he uses a lot of deps (me now included) The band leader produces full charts for every member of the band(its that organised)

But..... The last 3 gigs I have done have contained various guitar/keys players (graduates from leeds uni )

some punk keys waller from leeds uni, 4 years into his degree gets lost soloing over "mustang sally" !!!!

guitar player "4 years at leeds" has the contempt to not even listen to "celebration by cool and the gang", shows up and cant read the charts, or even remotely play the tune. w***er

Leeds coolege of music

Any aspiring musicians out there, Dont go to leeds. Get a well paid job, some occasional lessons from a good guy on basschat, learn loads of tunes, and keep busy

Regards

Mark[/quote]

Can I point out that there is a difference between the University of Leeds and Leeds College of Music.

They are in no way related, so maybe think/check your facts..

You have also made the mistake of judging these musicians on the reputation of an academic institute, which is just ignorant, because any rational musician would know that ANY player can slack off, be lazy and/or not practice, regardless of who they study with/where they study.

Edited by skej21

If anyone wants to listen to our keys player (Leeds College of Music grad) playing on any of our tracks and say that he is sh*te then I would be surprised! He is only 22 and the best keys player I have ever worked with.

Check him out on

www.myspace.com/zangtangband

I think that the condemnation of all LCM grads is unjustified and unfounded.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='988473' date='Oct 14 2010, 09:49 PM']Erm... I know a ton of very good Leeds graduates, so what do you suggest I say here?
Reign it in mate, it's quite wrong to condemn the entire place on the basis of a little bit of experience.[/quote]

Edited by Gunsfreddy2003

[quote name='jakesbass' post='988509' date='Oct 14 2010, 10:07 PM']I've said all I'm going to say on the issue, the way you come across is very poor on the evidence of these couple of threads, my feeling is that if you carry that kind of prejudice onto the professional bandstand it won't be very long before you have a limited diary.[/quote]

MASSIVE plus 1

Your inexperience as a working musician has shown through here, and I'm sure that such an unprofessional approach in an environment/forum that not only has a tight-knit community of bass players, but also bass players who have a large network of other musicians/instrumentalists will come back to haunt you.

Such a needless, moronic thread to start.

Edited by skej21

Like I said before listen to our tracks and make your own mind up - if you honestly can say that after hearing him play then you will be the first and only person of that opinion!

I think you need to open your eyes and ears and not make such broad sweeping generalisations.

[quote name='4 candles' post='988515' date='Oct 14 2010, 10:09 PM']Bet he's sh*t then and doesnt know any popular song!!!![/quote]

I went to see a jazz trio made up of Leeds grads last weekend, they were excellent. Bought my DB off a Leeds grad, he is excellent. Hell I know loads of Leeds grads and - sure - some are unbearable w***ers, but most are excellent musicians.

They certainly smoke me in terms of overall musicianship, and I feel very humbled when I'm invited to play with them.

Hi, thanks for tarring us all with the same brush!

[url="http://www.thewhitekeys.co.uk/"]*cough*[/url]

[url="http://www.soundcloud.com/the-jackson-project/jackson-project"]*cough cough*[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSs1FKz_oIQ"]COUGH COUGH[/url]

Excuse me, I think I have a cold coming on.

EDIT: Let's not forget some shameless self production [url="http://www.huwfoster.co.uk/"][b]COUGH[/b][/url]

Edited by Huwberry

I'm ex-Leeds College of Music

So's Corinne Bailey Rae's band - half of them are ex-Leeds

So's my mate Malcolm, now playing with Jamiroquai / Mark Ronson / Haggis Horns

And definitely check out JD73 - awesome musician (ex-Morcheeba)...

And Rob Mullarkey of Brotherly /Zero 7 - amazing musician, one of the best bass players I've ever met

And Martyn Kaine the drummer (nitin sawney / kyle eastwood)

But other than my mates, yeah, everyone else is probably sh*t :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='988590' date='Oct 14 2010, 11:02 PM']I do worry about those guys. They don't seem to handle the high life very well.[/quote]

The Haggis'? Good days, bad days I guess...
Great players though (which was the point of my post - do you know them? happy to chat more via PM if you do)

[quote name='Lenny B' post='988591' date='Oct 14 2010, 11:05 PM']The Haggis'? Good days, bad days I guess...
Great players though (which was the point of my post - do you know them? happy to chat more via PM if you do)[/quote]

No I know them through other people, I've never really been part of the Leeds scene because I split to the USA for a bunch of years. I am good friends with a guy who turned down a bunch of work with them because he'd just had a baby daughter and didn't think he would cope very well with the lifestyle. That was shortly before Jason died.

[quote name='4 candles' post='988463' date='Oct 14 2010, 09:42 PM']Howdy

Leeds coolege of music

Regards

Mark[/quote]

Get wise or get quiet.

As Dean of Leeds College of whatever, I can say that those damn keyboard players of Delta house are on double secret probation for their dis-services to music

I've recently found out that they've been charging £150 per gig but when it comes to pay time, they show the rest of band the contract which only covers using the white keys. Those crazy guys are asking for double for using those ebony fellows.

I suspect Mark meant this with a bit of tongue in cheek... he sold me a really lovely P-Bass a few months back and is a complete gem of a guy!

It's a shame you had a bad experience with LCM students Mark BUT I know some absolutely superb players that have come out of there, Leeds is particularly good for horn players. Having went to LIPA I often wish I'd ended up in Leeds instead, I reckon I would have got a lot more out of it.