Why become a member? ×

Interesting L2000/ASAT marriage tone monster

solo4652

I've recently acquired this black L2000 (USA) body + ASAT neck hybrid.

[attachment=61694:018.JPG]

ASAT maple neck is dated 1997. Rosewood fingerboard. Heavy USA body is solid swamp ash, deep visible grain and 3-bolt micro-tilt under replacement 6-bolt neckplate. Neckplate has code B000679 which dates it to 1979?? However, no visible date stamp in neck pocket. Tone? Blimey - Rich, deep and full, or what!? I'm getting old shoe leather and chocolate with hints of licorice and berry fruits. Needs careful playing because you only have to look at it and it rings out on its own. It needs careful string muting, and soft and precise fretting to prevent note overlap/muddiness. Sustains for ever. Tone = 9.5/10. Playability = 7/10

I also have a L2000 Tribute which has an altogether brighter tone which can cut through a mix a bit better than the richness of the ASAT/L2000 monster - depends on the venue/band mix. Lighter weight too.

Steve

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='992639' date='Oct 18 2010, 07:33 PM']good you found the G&L(s)you were after a wee while back :)[/quote]

Yes - I now have the 2 G&L's and a Fender USA P. So, I'm sorted with my basses - for now. The only (non) problem is which bass to use for which songs. The ASAT/L2000 has the rich, deep tone that works well with slower bluesy numbers. The Tribute has an appreciably brighter, more "nasal" (?) tone and that seems to work well with the funkier numbers. The Precision works pretty well with just about anything - workhorse. I did have the ASAT/L2000 as No.1 bass with the Tribute as No.2. But the more I play the USA P, the more I appreciate it's user-friendliness compared to the ASAT/L2000. Basically, they're all very fine pieces of kit and I enjoy playing all of them. So, not really a "problem" choosing between them.

Obviously, the original neck on the black L2000 has been replaced by the ASAT neck. I'm curious to try to pin down the age of the body, but there's no date in the neck pocket. I'm sure the neckplate (with the B000679) serial number isn't original, and the bridge has no serial number either. Any thoughts about how I might date the body, please?

Steve

[quote name='budget bassist' post='993351' date='Oct 19 2010, 11:47 AM']Was that black one owned by a BC member? I seem to remember someone having something similar...[/quote]

Yes, I bought it from a BC'er a couple of months ago. He told me what he knew about the bass' history.